Trouble with iPhone 4, should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Nur2652, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Nur2652

Nur2652 Member
    Bronze

My iPhone 4 is 2 years old this month and it's starting to crap out more and more. Obviously the home button fails, more and more. I have a page open and it drops and goes to home screen. Running super slow and I have plenty of space left. Should I get the 4S or wait til new 5 or 6. And when is that coming out you think, don't really follow it that much. Oh and thank god for AT&T discount for upgrading, NOT! I get to pay the same as a new customer. Awesome. Thanks.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Do you have an upgrade available? As far as a new phone, it would be the iPhone 5 I would suggest, which should hopefully be coming out in the Fall (August pending). Have you tried a full restore through iTunes? Having home button issues is actually common. Mine is a little slow at times and has to be pressed more to get it to do what I want. But I do have a bulky case on it, so that may be the culprit. The restore could solve your slowness possibly.

Actually you may want to research the difference between the iPhone 4S and 5. The iPhone 5 is definitely going to be a new design and a slightly bigger screen.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Did you get the 2 year extended warranty from Apple? That's the kind of thing they'd replace the phone for, and then you can skate by for the next few months with a new iPhone 4 til the 6th generation comes out this fall.

If you're near one, it can't hurt to stop by an Apple store and ask, in any case. Worst they could do is say "yeah, you'd need to pay $199 for an out-of-warranty replacement"

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

No one knows for sure, but it seems to be a pretty safe bet that fall brings a new iPhone and one with a larger display. Larger display means new form factor and probably a good number of advances. I have to agree with fury on this one. Try to appeal to their sense of compassion at the Apple Store. My wife's iPhone was out of warrant and it cost me $149 for a replacement. While that doesn't sound great, given the fact that you can get a new iPhone 4S for $199, it won't affect your contract. Plus, it will provide you with a virtually new iPhone 4. The resale value on that will easily offset the $149 you pay and more if/when you move to the new iPhone (6th generation). It its current state, you wouldn't be able to get that much for your current phone.

Best advice is to get a refurb for $149, resell it when the new one comes out and jump into a contract extension at that point with AT&T.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm curious how much I could get for my iPhone 4 after I get the iPhone 5. But there have been two phone upgrades now after iPhone 5, so maybe not much? Usually I sell my old iPhone on eBay.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

iPhone 3GS has a few Buy It Nows around $170-$180 on eBay. I'd think you could still do well with iPhone 4 when the new iPhone is announced. The form factor of the 4 being the same as the 4S should also keep value high.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Very awesome! One question. Since there will be a larger display on the iPhone 5, how long does it usually take for a new Otterbox Defender to be released?