Trying to decide between Exchange and iCloud

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by PDADoc, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PDADoc

PDADoc New Member

Been using iCloud for backups and that's pretty much it, and using hosted Exchange for mail, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks.

I'm seriously considering switching everything over to iCloud and canceling my hosted Exchange account, which has been pretty reliable through the years, regardless of the platform I've used (Windows Mobile, Symbian, Blackberry).

But since I've decided that I'm sticking with the iOS for the next few years, I'm thinking of moving everything to iCloud, rather than pay for two services (I pay $40 for the extra iCloud space). I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has already made this move, what they like/don't like, what problems --if any-- I'm likely to encounter.

I've done web research, but it doesn't turn up as much as I'd hoped.

Any input is appreciated!

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Before iCloud came out I was using Exchange for contacts, calendars and notes. I've always just used the stock mail app for mail and I only do local backups. Since iCloud I've switched everything to it, except mail (still just use the mail app), and I haven't experienced any problems. As an iOS and OSX user my overall experience with contacts, calendars and notes has improved greatly with iCloud.

3. TrueChili

TrueChili Member
    Bronze

I've never used Exchange but I started using iCloud recently for all my stuff and I gotta say I love it. It's really easy to use and I love the layout.

4. PDADoc

PDADoc New Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys, it helps.

I'm hoping someone who uses Exchange for everything like I do will be able to give me a really solid comparison.

On an unrelated note, I really wish Apple would rework the iCloud control panel to be compatible with Firefox, as I don't use IE, except for synchronizing bookmarks, which is a pain.

I also am using a PC with Windows 7 (64-bit).

5. PDADoc

PDADoc New Member

Well, I answered most (if not all) of my questions an hour ago.

I took the plunge and setup iCloud as my default mail, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes, and that's when I ran into trouble. I had all sorts of problems setting up iCloud for use in Outlook, and wasn't able to import any of my old data from my Exchange account. In short, it was a colossal mess, and it did serve to demonstrate why I needed to stick with my Exchange account.

Thanks for the input, everyone. While I'm sure iCloud is fine for most people, it just didn't cut the mustard for me.

6. TrueChili

TrueChili Member
    Bronze

Sorry to hear that; at least now you know though.

7. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I use both. Exchange for work, iCloud for personal. What I did is use my PC and outlook to move data between the services. I simply copied the contacts notes and the data I wanted to iCloud and it worked perfectly.

Good luck.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

8. PDADoc

PDADoc New Member

Thanks, Target. Perhaps I'll try again sometime; it's not like it's going away, seeing as I'm still paying for it anyway. I just didn't like the formatting of the contacts, the way I was unable to categorize or group them as I'm used to in Outlook.

Also, the e-mail folders issue is a huge issue for me as well. Not being able to import my existing messages into the same folders I created on iCloud Mail was a problem. I've searched all over the place --including Apple's support forums-- for a solution to this, but haven't found one that actually works. If you know of a way, I'd like to know.

Thanks!

9. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Your welcome. Hope it helped a little bit. Good luck. It's hard to change platforms.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app