Trying to free up some iPhone memory - help please

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
Hi Yall…

I am running an iPhone 3G unlocked and jail broken with redsn0w and ultrasn0w and the 3.0 firmware.

I only have an 8GB phone so I don’t have as much space for music as I want. On iTunes I saw that I have lost 1.1 GB of memory to what it is classifying as “Other”.

I assume part of this is space taken up by Cydia and the few applications from Cydia that I have added. But I haven’t added much at all and can’t imagine that the Cydia stuff is taking up all that memory space.

I have also cleared out all of my saved text messages, sent emails and all the emails in the trash bin and that only gave me back around 50MB of that “Other” memory. I do have some saved videos in Cycorder, but all of those combined only total 60MB anyway.

Of course this also has nothing to do with saved photos or real Apple Store applications because they are not included in this “Other” memory calculation, but are in their own memory usage category in iTunes.

So I was wondering what else I might be able to do in order to try and free up some more memory in the “Other” category for music storage?

Any help on this is much appreciated....

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Okay, have you deleted any emails from your Inbox? If so, do you remember the subject headers or what they contained? If you do, then go in Spotlight and search for the emails you have deleted. If they come up, then you have the bug. There's a bug in 3.0 which shows old deleted emails in Spotlight, that might be taking up the space.

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
Thanks. I will try that, but I can't quite remember any of the emails actually. Maybe I will delete some more and then do that search. Assuming I have that bug though you are talking about is there any fix?

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
Ugh, I definitely got that bug it seems.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
Okay, have you deleted any emails from your Inbox? If so, do you remember the subject headers or what they contained? If you do, then go in Spotlight and search for the emails you have deleted. If they come up, then you have the bug. There's a bug in 3.0 which shows old deleted emails in Spotlight, that might be taking up the space.
Do you know how to clear those mail? :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The bulk of the other section is the Operating system. It is also used for email, text messages, calendar events, contacts and phone favorites, recent calls, notes, browser cache, etc. It should be less than 300 MB. The extra space in your other section is probably from media that was transferred to the phone but not properly converted/coded/labeled. The only way to remove it is to restore to factory settings.

You need to update to 3.0.1 anyway though, right?

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
Thank you for that information Europa. Well I recently upgraded to 3.0 and that is when I recognized the problem. So it seems that the OS upgrade in my case did not fix the problem as you are suggesting. At least not so far.

Do you know though if the 3.0.1 firmware upgrade does address the bug in 3.0 which shows old deleted emails in Spotlight?

jdk2

Bronze
Dec 2, 2008
Stratford, NJ
Thank you for that information Europa. Well I recently upgraded to 3.0 and that is when I recognized the problem. So it seems that the OS upgrade in my case did not fix the problem as you are suggesting. At least not so far.

Do you know though if the 3.0.1 firmware upgrade does address the bug in 3.0 which shows old deleted emails in Spotlight?
The bug remains in 3.0.1.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
you'll lose a lot of other when you start deleting things installed from cydia.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Did you restore from a back up? If so, that would explain the problem persisting. Restore to factory settings and I can pretty much guarantee you that it will go down to under 300 MB. Now if you start syncing improperly formatted media on it, it will go up again.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
That e-mail bug has been acknowledged by Apple and there will be a fix in the next software update which is 3.1.