Trying to get a replacement power adapter for my External WD Drive

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I have a 1 TB Western Digital external drive. It's several years old, but it was fully functional last time I used it about a year ago, then I lost the power adapter.

I'm going to eventually have to buy a 6 TB model (I have an ever-growing movie collection, and I almost always buy instead of rent).

Until my budget permits such an acquisition, I would like to take advantage of this 1 TB drive that I have sitting here collecting dust.

I sent an e-mail to Western Digital asking if they sell power adapters for drives, but I'm concerned the my model number is no longer listed in their drop-down list of models for customers to inquire about.

I was wondering if any of you know a way to figure out what power adapter I need, and chances are you guys will lead me to a cheaper power supply than Western Digital will, if they're even able to provide me with an answer.

The DC in jack on the back of the drive doesn't specify voltage, amperage, or polarity (thumbnail, click to enlarge):

photo copy 4.JPG

So the only meaningful data I have as a potential clue (I hope) to the power adapter that I need is this label (thumbnail, click to enlarge):

WD Product Information.JPG

Any and all help will be appreciated :)

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Worse case scenario, crack open the case & put the drive in another external enclosure.
What is the model number of the drive?
You could try searching for it by - model # power supply

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Definitely gonna go with your second suggestion, thanks! I'm sure Amazon and its resellers have a ton of power adapters...

Cracking open the drive and putting it in another enclosure--as simple as I'm sure it is--is doable, but not by me; I'll have to request help from one or two hardware-savvy friends who are into that kind of stuff. I have almost no experience whatsoever with that kind of operation and I'm intimidated by it. I failed miserably the couple of times I did try to perform hardware improvements on older computers I've owned; this was years ago, but the failures left me with a bad taste in my mouth!