Trying to get iPhone 5

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

lmluciano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2010
Called around looking for an iPhone 5. Best Buy mobile has one. Right now I have an iPhone 4s. What I want to do is, add a line to my existing AT&T account, then transfer my existing phone number over to the 5 and give the 4s to my girlfriend with a new phone number. The Sales clerk said as long as my 4s is out of contract (or up for an upgrade) I can do it. I've only had the 4s for a year so It's not eligible for an upgrade. Does that seem right? I've spoken to AT&T sales people about what I wanted to do before and no one mentioned the upgrade part.

I have to wait an hour before AT&T stores open so I thought I'd post here first.

lmluciano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2010
Well, BestBuy Mobile guy doesn't have a clue. Went to AT&T store that had a 32gb black iPhone 5 instock. He set it up with my old number and gave my 4s a new number for my girlfriend

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
You can add a line anytime without being eligible for an upgrade. When you go into AT&T just tell them your plans & they will set you up.

lmluciano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2010
VOLS34 is right. I paid the upgrade price because I added a line. Although, I lost my grandfathered unlimited data, but I never went above 700mb in any given month anyway. Now I have a shared 4gb plan and I don't think we'll get anywhere near that. Considering the other options were a 1gb plan which was too low for 2 of us or a 6gb plan, the 4gb plan works.