Trying to restore backup from iCloud

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by randuff, Oct 14, 2011.

1. randuff

randuff New Member

So I am trying to set up my 4s using iCloud restore. Time left is now at 4 hours (started at 6.)
    I am not at home so I can't connect to iTunes. Is there a better way to set this phone up? Other than setting it up as a new phone.

I am going from a 4 to a 4s

2. imamac

imamac Member
    Bronze

If you have the time at work, I'd let it keep going and hopefully it will finish before you have to leave.

Otherwise, I'd try connecting directly to iTunes when you get home. It may be faster. But I've read some are having trouble either way.

3. randuff

randuff New Member

But, but , but I want to play with my new toy NOW! :cry:

4. imamac

imamac Member
    Bronze

I know, I know. At least you have yours. :)
    I'm still staring out the window watching for the UPS truck.

5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Servers are getting slammed today, no reason you should wait that long. I would just do it once I get home.

6. mori

mori Member
    Bronze

i got mine and you feel lucky u got to activate yours,, i cant for mines..lol

7. randuff

randuff New Member

Ok so I did some checking and I went to manage my icloud and turned off some apps, namely the 9GBs! of photos, videos. After I turned those off it took 5 minutes. Up and running and playing with Siri (Australian female voice :p)

8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Greetings!
    Just got my 4S swapped out at the Apple store.
    I set it up as new at the store.
    I'm trying to restore from backup, but all I se on my computer are older from a few weeks ago.
    If I go into iCloud on the phone, then > storage & backup > manage storage, I see one from yesterday. How can I backup from that?

9. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

How content is restored to a new device

When you go through Setup Assistant on a new iOS 5 device, choose "Restore from iCloud Backup" and enter your iCloud account and password. You will see the three most recent backups for each of the devices on which you enabled Backup. Choose which backup to restore from.

After your device restarts, your settings and accounts are restored and Backup starts downloading your purchased music, TV shows, apps, books, Camera Roll, and other content.* You may be prompted to enter the passwords for all accounts enabled on your device.

A progress bar will appear underneath the apps that are being downloaded. To prioritize the restore of a specific app, tap its icon. Restore will attempt to download the same version of the app that you had installed previously. If that version is no longer available, the latest version of the app will be restored.

If you are using iTunes Match (U.S. only), you can download any of your songs, albums, or playlist from iCloud after the restore is complete.

To check if the restore is complete, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Got it sorted, thanks...
    To conserve time, I set it up new @ Apple store and backups on home PC were a few weeks old.
    I checked on the iPhone when I got home and saw some more recent available in iCloud, but could not access them since all I was doing in the Reset menu was Reset All Settings.
    Once I did a complete wipe with Reset All Content and Settings, I was able to gain access to those more recent iCloud backups on the4S.
    Nice to be able to restore right from the device and not even have to plug it in anymore......

11. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

Which do you think is better backing up to iTunes or iCloud!

12. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Backing up to ICloud is very convenient if you need to restore when away from your PC with iTunes. I stopped using it because the backup process is real slowwwwwwwww.

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

The restore is slow via the iPhone since it redownloads all the apps, but it saved my bacon last night.....

14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Is that why it's so slow? I should have disabled it, when restoring my iPhone to speed it up.

15. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Not sure what u mean.....
    Had to restore both mine and mrs snowtrooper's over the weekend since I had the Apple store swap out both our 4S's.
    Both restores were via iCloud on each device since neither of us had a recent enough backup on our iTunes/PC/laptop accounts.
    Mine is only 180MB and still took 2 hours.
    Hers is around 3GB and took something like 5 hours.
    This is via our WiFi cable modem with a bottom tier download speed of 3.19Mbps.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

5 hours. Yikes. It would be much, much faster to restore it from backup on the computer. I've haven't tested it yet, but I'm sure you can use an iClould backup in iTunes on the computer. My restores from backup usually only take 10 or 15 minutes.

17. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

I personally backup locally... Much quicker, even for the old dog that is my PC. :)

18. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Yeah, iPhone backups are ginormous - usually at least 500MB, and can be multiple GB. When restoring from iCloud, your phone has to download that whole file, and that will take a pretty long time even with a relatively fast Internet connection.

19. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Yikes indeed, Mindi!
    It would be faster, but I could not find out quickly in the middle of the night if I could access the iCloud backup through iTunes, so I went with what I had....

20. Camitampa

Camitampa Member
    Bronze

I had my 64g iPhone 4s replaced at the Apple store on Saturday and had it restored from an iCloud backup. Everything but the apps and music was done before I left the store. The apps took less than twenty minutes once I was on my home wifi. I had to re-sync the music. All of the important stuff ie contacts and messages were available almost instantly. I was happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app