Trying to restore backup from iCloud

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I backed up all my data on my iPhone 5S and want to restore some of the apps and contacts. However, I don't want to just do a restore and get everything back on my phone as I would like to have some control over what contacts/apps are put back. Is there a way for me to select particular apps or contacts from an iCloud backup? If it is not possible, I can restore from a backup and then remove apps/contacts that I no longer want.

Guest55

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I would just back up first then restart as new , the contacts will still be synced and all you would need to do is download the apps that you do want ..

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
When I get my new 6 Plus in January, I'm going to start afresh. No back up from iCloud. I'll first send my notes to email and I have my contacts stored in Box. I only have about 140 contacts. I can enter them back on manually, editing a few out I no longer need. I'll have to download all my apps and music from the purchased lists. I don't have much music. I'm hoping it will be cleaner that way.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
When I get my new 6 Plus in January, I'm going to start afresh. No back up from iCloud. I'll first send my notes to email and I have my contacts stored in Box. I only have about 140 contacts. I can enter them back on manually, editing a few out I no longer need. I'll have to download all my apps and music from the purchased lists. I don't have much music. I'm hoping it will be cleaner that way.
That's not necessary. You can have a clean install and sync that stuff without any potential for problems. Applying an iCloud backup is completely separate from iCloud syncing. Set the phone up as a new device and then log into iCloud and all of your notes, contacts, bookmarks, etc. will appear.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
My iCloud says i have a backup from yesterday. In iTunes I can't select that back up to restore from. Can I do a restore from my phone with that back up ? Why isn't iTunes letting me pick that back up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Apply it on the phone itself. You need to be at the grey setup screen. If you are already to the home screen, reset all settings to get back to it.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
Muchas gracias, had a problem with my phone earlier and not being able to use any type of signal and when i restored earlier this back up from yesterday didn't show up at first