Trying to update to iOS 5 on my 3GS

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by MuscleMommy, Oct 15, 2011.

1. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

I am trying to go in an update my 3gs to the IOS5. I usually never have backed up my system other than syncing it so I am afraid to update before I get my question asked.

#1 - is there anything special I have to do to back up my iPhone? I am really thinking I am missing something. The phone syncs but I am not sure that is the same as backed up here.

#2 - when I went to go to see if it would just update. It is telling me there are purchased items on my phone that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. It says I really should update before I update. So I thought syncing did just that. How do you do this?

Ugh...I am glad I have actually started reading the forums to pick up tips and to learn...but damn it has taken me awhile I feel really blonde right now considering I have had this phone 2.5 years :(

Help me.......:eek:

2. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

Anyone? I was hoping to do an update but I am afraid too.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. Workoutninja

Workoutninja Member
    Bronze

To sync you just plug it in to the computer with iTunes open and it will start a backup. One thing I do is copy my photos and videos to another file on my computer which I put on a portable drive.

Once your phone is done syncing you can download the new update and it will install.

4. Tonynlia

Tonynlia Member
    Bronze

Go to file and click on transfer purchases,I put my whole library on a 16gb USB stick as a backup

5. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

Thank you all. Doing the transfer now onto a USB stick. Wish me luck with my upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app