Trying to use my fiance's iPhone...

Hercules

Mar 5, 2008
It's kind of weird.. she doesn't like it, and in agreement for me buying her a new phone, she was going to give me her iPhone.

I have AT&T now, so I tried to pop my SIM in it, and there's no network ... it doesn't say anything, but I get no bars. She puts hers in, and it works. I put my SIM back into my phone, and it works as well.

What's the deal? Is there an iPhone compatible SIM or something? I read about jailbreaking the phone to make it work, but I'm already an AT&T customer -- I don't see why I should need to. And I don't want to extend my contract another two years to get this phone, that seems silly especially since my fiance already has hers extended when she bought it.

Anyway, please let me know on what to do here... can I go to an AT&T store and let them do it for me?

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I think the phone and sim are bound by the 18mth contract in weird kind of matrimony. You'll get used to that once you tie the knot yourself there's no easy way out.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
no.
restore and jailbreak only and you'll be good.

good day.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It's kind of weird.. she doesn't like it, and in agreement for me buying her a new phone, she was going to give me her iPhone.

I have AT&T now, so I tried to pop my SIM in it, and there's no network ... it doesn't say anything, but I get no bars. She puts hers in, and it works. I put my SIM back into my phone, and it works as well.

What's the deal? Is there an iPhone compatible SIM or something? I read about jailbreaking the phone to make it work, but I'm already an AT&T customer -- I don't see why I should need to. And I don't want to extend my contract another two years to get this phone, that seems silly especially since my fiance already has hers extended when she bought it.

Anyway, please let me know on what to do here... can I go to an AT&T store and let them do it for me?
You can't just swap sim cards on iPhones like you can other GSM devices. Someone said you could jailbreak it, but that can void the warranty you have on your phone. You can weigh out the options and make your own decision.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
just got and speak to someone over at an AT&T store see if they can just transfer it over. Wait do you both have your phones on a family plan. Should be able to swap phones without contract extension. I could be wrong

bowsback

Nov 30, 2007
just sold my brother in law my old 8gb because i switch to the 16gb and all we did was go down to att and they put a new sim in it and started him up on the iPhone plan should be the easiest fix or if you don't care about your warranty than the jailbreak is the way to go but i like being able to get help with my electronics whenever i want lol hope this has helped

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
just sold my brother in law my old 8gb because i switch to the 16gb and all we did was go down to att and they put a new sim in it and started him up on the iPhone plan should be the easiest fix or if you don't care about your warranty than the jailbreak is the way to go but i like being able to get help with my electronics whenever i want lol hope this has helped
OMG... not one period or comma!

Anyway, your girlfriend's SIM is the one tied to the iPhone; one of the things you'll have to do is contact AT&T so they can deactivate her SIM from the iPhone.

The guy I sold my iPhone to couldnt get it activated within iTunes. It was the call to AT&T that helped us figure out what the problem was.

As soon as they deactivated my SIM, his new SIM was able to connect to iTunes and activate.