trying to use PC transferred photos as contact pictures

keevill

Jul 30, 2009
Using a jailbroken 3G 3.0 and what I want to do is to transfer pictures from my Vista PC onto the iPhone principally to use them for the contacts pictures.
So far I have tried using iTunes by making a folder in the pc, copying the pictures into that folder, then attempting to sync the photos folder in iTunes.
When I browse to the folder it shows no files are found but I go ahead anyway and sync. It then says that 10 files are synced but I cannot find them on the iPhone.
It seems that unless I want to use a picture taken BY the iPhone , then I cannot use it as a contact picture.
Help plssssssss....

Jul 22, 2009
Yes that is the problem of iPhone. I have try out many ways of adding pictures in the contact but no success I have to add them by taking picture by the iPhone.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
You must be doing something wrong then. This is a simple sync feature with the iPhone.

I'm using Windows Vista and have set up a folder in My Pictures on my computer called something like 'iPhone Pictures.' Go into iTunes and ensure that you have that folder, for example 'iPhone Pictures' is selected and shows the photo count in parenthesis. Hit "Sync" and that folder should show up on your iPhone under your "Photos" icon.

I'm not sure what you're doing incorrectly if you're following that process above. It's pretty much fool-proof. Can you check the files to make sure they're not Ready Only or Hidden, etc.?

Let me know.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes definitely doing something wrong. No issue using synced photos for contacts pics. Heck some of my contacts have photos that pre-date the iPhone's release. And I setup the contact photos on the iPhone itself (using synced photos).

The biggest issue I see with the OP is this comment: "When I browse to the folder it shows no files..."

Browse where, on the PC? If so you need to resolve that issue before trying to sync to the iPhone.

--
Mike

keevill

Jul 30, 2009
I got it sorted

yep guys you are right ! I got it to work. I think that I was not correctly selecting the folder. What is off putting is that when I browse to the folder containing the photos using iTunes on the pc, they do not show up. It just shows and empty folder.However if I go ahead and select anyway, the number of photos shows up in parentheses as you say above. Anyway thanks for pushing me back on course.
Many thanks,

erichein

Apr 6, 2009
I just emailed my contact photos to myself, then saved them to the phone, then added them as contacts. Or, if you use gmail you can add them on the web as contract photos and they will sync.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
yep guys you are right ! I got it to work. I think that I was not correctly selecting the folder. What is off putting is that when I browse to the folder containing the photos using iTunes on the pc, they do not show up. It just shows and empty folder.However if I go ahead and select anyway, the number of photos shows up in parentheses as you say above. Anyway thanks for pushing me back on course.
Many thanks,
Glad you got it working!