Trying to use solid white picture, but fades to black

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Rafagon, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have a solid white "picture" in my camera roll. When I try to set it as my Home Screen background, iOS seems to make it fade subtly to gray (from top to bottom). I have no explanation for this. Attaching my solid white "picture" and the result after I set it as my Home Screen background. iPhone 5/iOS 6.0.2. Feature or bug? Help!

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1357439188.615103.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1357439209.945255.jpg

Sent using the newly updated iCafe app -- The fastest and sexiest way to use eiC!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not a bug. The OS includes an overlay which adds a slight gradient to the bottom of the background. It's most apparent on white backgrounds. It also adds shadows behind and off center to the icons. You can remove these overlays if you have access to the file system, which we can't do right now since there is no public iPhone 5 jailbreak available.

You could make a white wallpaper with a gradient that would minimize it, though. It would have full brightness white at the bottom and gradually fade into a less bright white at the top.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Again, Europa to the rescue. Thank you!

Sent using the newly updated iCafe app -- The fastest and sexiest way to use eiC!

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They truly are control freaks about iOS. OS X at least has a bunch of defaults write commands through the Terminal to let us tweak some aspects of some of its behaviors. It sure would be nice if they gave us a Terminal app on iOS to allow a small number of tweaks and would probably cut down tremendously on jailbreaking of iOS devices. Maybe they could sell it for a buck and it would come with a tutorial so that less savvy users wouldn't mess with risky tweaks.