TUAW Advises Against Buying iPhone 3G, Erica Sadun Gets Roughed Up

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wow, pretty surprising article from Erica Sadun over at TUAW entitled, "Why you shouldn't buy the iPhone 3G on Friday." While I understand her viewpoint, the product being more evolutionary than revolutionary, it does come off a bit snippy.

"Other than 3G speeds and GPS, the new iPhone does not bring a lot to the table. It still has the same crappy 2 MegaPixel camera. It appears to have the same sized screen, the same speakers, the same microphone with a few cosmetic re-designs. If the speed issue isn't do-or-die for you, this is the upgrade to skip. You'll pay a lot of money for little more than a design bump."

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
And, really, she's talking to the current v1 iPhone users, not really new iPhone owners.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think she makes some valid points, many of which have been discussed here at length.

• Twice the speed
  • $15 more monthly
  • GPS, but no real time guidance
True, you'll have to reup for 2 more years, but chances are that most are staying with AT&T anyway due their iPhone exclusivity.

If you're handy, you can unlock and eBay your v1 thus reducing the cost of v2.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
FWIW, I think it's worth the $199. I'm a little peeved at lack of real time guidance, but I think that's coming down the road. (pardon the pun)

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think she makes some valid points, many of which have been discussed here at length.

• Twice the speed
  • $15 more monthly
  • GPS, but no real time guidance
True, you'll have to reup for 2 more years, but chances are that most are staying with AT&T anyway due their iPhone exclusivity.

If you're handy, you can unlock and eBay your v1 thus reducing the cost of v2.
I definitely think the reasons NOT to upgrade are legitimate. In fact, all of my v1 friends are NOT upgrading.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
FWIW, I think it's worth the $199. I'm a little peeved at lack of real time guidance, but I think that's coming down the road. (pardon the pun)
Yeah, I couldn't resist the price. I've been grumbling about the price since day one. So, I'll be getting one finally.

I don't need turn by turn nav... already got one in my car. :D

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I definitely think the reasons NOT to upgrade are legitimate. In fact, all of my v1 friends are NOT upgrading.
I think it's more so the title of the article and comments like "same crappy camera" that have caused a bit of a backlash.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think it's more so the title of the article and comments like "same crappy camera" that have caused a bit of a backlash.
I guess the devil is in the details... it's not so much WHAT she said... but HOW she said it... :) I'm in the news businesss and I'm very aware of how my wording can seriously offend people.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i noticed that too as i read the article comments, people are pissed that she wrote that.....:sick:

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Chris, am I going to see you on the line friday morning?

Apple store Roosevelt Field Mall?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY

I don't think I'm going to wait on line this year. I'll probably make my way to the Apple Store around 9 or 10. Figure the dust will settle from the initial mayhem and I can always run over to the AT&T Store if it's still nuts at the Apple Store.

What time are you going to the Field?

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
its funny she brings up "same screen size" like the iPhones size isn't already the biggest one on the market.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
I don't think I'm going to wait on line this year. I'll probably make my way to the Apple Store around 9 or 10. Figure the dust will settle from the initial mayhem and I can always run over to the AT&T Store if it's still nuts at the Apple Store.

What time are you going to the Field?
I'll make my way there around the same time. I have to go to the Apple store to use up my store credit that I have to make my purchase all that much the better...yeah I don't want to go when the store opens cause it might be crazy and its too early for me...
well if I see you I will say hi this year...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, I saw that, and for a person who writes for TUAW, that was pretty negative. I gave her some crap for it in the comments, and so did Spin This.

- John

Jul 1, 2008

I might be at the Roosevelt Field Mall Apple store too, although I'll be staying with my gf for a few days so I won't drag her there if there's a crazy line or something :p

H

Hayesimus

i agree with all her statements in the qoute you provided. It is a crappy camera. I don't care how you look at it. I loathe using it and can't wait to get an actual digital camera for taking pics. I think that anyone who would disagree is in denial lol. They could have at least put a better camera and a better SET of speakers. That would've been worth the price of upgrading alone...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I'm personally waiting another month and going for the Samsung Omnia. It blows the V2 iPhone away in terms of functionality and specs.

The new 3G is a waste of cash if you ask me. Better off just buying a V1 when they drop in price this Friday.

Interesting to see so many "new" iPhones for sale on eBay. I wonder how many of them are actually new, as opposed to second hand phones being sold as brand new. If your phone has no marks and you still have the box, it's very easy to pawn it off as new.

Wow, pretty surprising article from Erica Sadun over at TUAW entitled, "Why you shouldn't buy the iPhone 3G on Friday." While I understand her viewpoint, the product being more evolutionary than revolutionary, it does come off a bit snippy.

"Other than 3G speeds and GPS, the new iPhone does not bring a lot to the table. It still has the same crappy 2 MegaPixel camera. It appears to have the same sized screen, the same speakers, the same microphone with a few cosmetic re-designs. If the speed issue isn't do-or-die for you, this is the upgrade to skip. You'll pay a lot of money for little more than a design bump."

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
It's a few upgrades, but worth buying to me. My Wii and 360 get less use than my iPhone and I don't have to buy $60 games for it :laugh2:.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
i agree with all her statements in the qoute you provided. It is a crappy camera. I don't care how you look at it. I loathe using it and can't wait to get an actual digital camera for taking pics. I think that anyone who would disagree is in denial lol. They could have at least put a better camera and a better SET of speakers. That would've been worth the price of upgrading alone...
I do a lot of photography, and I've used some really nice cameras. And based on this, the iPhones camera is good. Some of the shots I've taken with it are amazing; clear and stunning. Of course, it isn't the greatest, but it's nice for a cell phone.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm personally waiting another month and going for the Samsung Omnia. It blows the V2 iPhone away in terms of functionality and specs.

The new 3G is a waste of cash if you ask me. Better off just buying a V1 when they drop in price this Friday.

Interesting to see so many "new" iPhones for sale on eBay. I wonder how many of them are actually new, as opposed to second hand phones being sold as brand new. If your phone has no marks and you still have the box, it's very easy to pawn it off as new.
Really? That thing... ew. Anyway, guess you're going to be hopping over here soon.

- John