Turn a hand-me-down iPhone 2g to iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brunette74, May 10, 2009.

1. brunette74

brunette74 New Member

Hi, I'm new here and really don't know how to ask the right question, but I'll try.

My boyfriend had an old iPhone 2G left over from when he upgraded to a iPhone 3G. I had an iPod touch but dropped it and the screen shattered. So he gave me his old iPhone 2G and said it would work like a iPod Touch. It did, but it had all of his old songs and stuff on there. I wanted to put my songs on there instead so I plugged it into my computer and now...well...I've got a brick.

What happened, apparently, was it tried to synch up as a new iPhone. However, this iPhone 2G doesn't have a Sim card inside of it. He thinks when he moved from this to his 3G that AT&T just pulled out his old SIM and stuck it inside of the new 3G phone.

The phone just says that I need to install a new SIM and I don't have one.

I don't want to use this as a phone. I just want to use the old 2G as an iPod Touch. I've done all sorts of googling and searches here and see some people who claim they've done this, and others say it is not possible without using QuckPWN, PWNage or something that I guess jailbreaks the old 2G.

Is what I'm asking possible to do? Can anyone tell me what to do? I'm not that computer literate but can follow guides if such a thing exists.

Thanks in advance.

2. The Apple

The Apple Zealot
    Gold

My advice would be to sell the phone and buy a brand new touch. Then you have a warranty and everything.

3. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

if you want to use it as an ipod touch you will have to jailbreak it with quickpwn and that will activate it without a sim and you will be ready to roll. hit me up with any questions, it should take you less than 10 minutes to do.

4. brunette74

brunette74 New Member

Wow! Thank you so much! I downloaded QuickPWN and I now have a "replacement" iPod Touch. It's got all of my music on it and everything!

My boyfriend says I can even load Skype onto it and kinda use it like a phone now?

Thanks again!

5. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

no problem, just call me helen keller

you will have to have an iTunes account and you can still use the app store (on wifi) and you can download whatever apps you want. skype will allow you to place calls like a phone :)

6. KNK

KNK New Member

Works great

I gave my old phone to my 10 yr old. I did not remove the sim card, and still log it in to the same computer for updates and games. We have 2 wifi's in the house so it still connects to the galactic universe and works fine.

7. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

^that works too mr. busey

8. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

What's a 2G?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The version 1 (V1) phone is also known as the 2G. V2 is the 3G.

10. The Apple

The Apple Zealot
    Gold

Where the heck have you been?!? You know haw many times people have posted.........remember that KNK character?