Turn by turn directions in iOS 6 looks insane

badge

Bronze
Feb 23, 2009
Bristol UK
After playing with maps it keeps crashing when typing in the search field anyone else experiencing this

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008

badge

Bronze
Feb 23, 2009
Bristol UK
Ok the maps do work on my Appradio car stereo and what's strange is the search function worked.

phonejunkie30

Bronze
Jul 22, 2009
Grand Prairie Tx

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
Waze is kind of girly and goofy but it's awesome as a GPS. It's very accurate and fast.

Yes it is Amd actually works much better than maps that's there! LOVE waze it's one must have app!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I don't understand the comparison between things like the new maps/Mapquest/Waze with the full Nav apps like Navigon and Garmin. There's a big difference between local maps and cloud based maps. There have been many times I've been out of cell range, but still needed to get directions. I was able to do that with Navigon. In addition, with the tiered data plans, continually downloading map info could eat a lot of bandwidth.

The UI of the new maps app might be very cool, but I'm sticking with Navigon.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Didn't they do this with ios5? Where some devices would not support all features

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Yes but it's hard to believe they'd exclude the iPhone 4...pretty much sucks. Some people aren't even out of contract on their phone.

JWB

Bronze
Nov 8, 2011
I heard turn by turn wont be available on 3GS though

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't understand the comparison between things like the new maps/Mapquest/Waze with the full Nav apps like Navigon and Garmin. There's a big difference between local maps and cloud based maps. There have been many times I've been out of cell range, but still needed to get directions. I was able to do that with Navigon. In addition, with the tiered data plans, continually downloading map info could eat a lot of bandwidth.

Heck yes. Especially when you don't need much space for it, due to its ability to selectively download maps.

That said I set out on a 5-hour drive this past Saturday not realizing I had recently reinstalled Navigon--but had not downloaded any maps. I was on I-40 in the Mojave desert, with a good 3G signal, and was able to download the maps I needed while on the road. Fortunately that was only about 400MB worth of downloading (which was probably more data than downloading on-the-fly using MapQuest, lol). Usually I lost 3G frequently on that drive, though--as often it dropped to EDGE (and several places had no service at all). This time, I lost all service for maybe 2 minutes total, and it was always on 3G (or, ahem, "4G" as displayed by iPhone 4S). I have to hand it to AT&T for really improving coverage.

Michael

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008

I too use Navigon regularly but I use maps all the time too. It's so much easier to go to maps and type in an address and from there I have a jailbreak feature that lets me "navigate using navigon".
The one thing I can't stand about Navigon is searching for a businesss. It NEVER works right. Maps is so easy. I type in "Ale house" and all the ale houses in the orlando area show up.

I'm pretty sure I won't be using Navigon after the new Apple maps are out

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I too use Navigon regularly but I use maps all the time too. It's so much easier to go to maps and type in an address and from there I have a jailbreak feature that lets me "navigate using navigon".
The one thing I can't stand about Navigon is searching for a businesss. It NEVER works right. Maps is so easy. I type in "Ale house" and all the ale houses in the orlando area show up.

I like the fact that I don't have to worry about downloading necessary maps or files. Granted, that's just a management issue on my part, but having stock maps does offer a certain level of convenience for someone lazy unorganized like myself.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA

I do agree finding stuff in navigon is a hassle. I use an app called NavAssist to fix that. $1 well spent. It doesn't need jailbreak either. Works with TomTom too.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
A new update to Navigon just added Google Street View, which I think is pretty useful, and other features like ****pit view that displays more info. The more I play with the new maps.app, It's really not that big of an update. The 3D feature and flyover gets pretty old when it loads fairly slow. Apple is going to have to do a better job if they want to convince iPhone users iOS6 was a significant update.

fedexgnd

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I tried out turn by turn on iOS 6 this past weekend. It was so awesome. Never till need to by another GPS unit :)

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
Why not use the Mapquest app? It's free and includes turn by turn voice prompts. May be better than using a beta iOS. Seeing you need your phone 100%. Just a thought.
I use the Mapquest and Waze apps and each do a pretty good job. I have a standalone TomTom but rarely use...