Turn by turn directions in iOS 6 looks insane

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
Today was the first time I have had problems... I wanted directions to a Hardee's which was .6 miles away. It wanted to take me on a 20 mile trip through the country to go down the street to the intersection and turn left :( I tried it 3 times and the same thing.
I was driving in the metro area and coming to a Y in the loop around the cities, it could not make up it's mind if it wanted me to to go east or west.
Luckily these were minor issues, however if I was in a location where I was truly relying on the instructions I would have been screwed.
Still I like this package, they will get it refined.
Tom

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Today was the first time I have had problems... I wanted directions to a Hardee's...
That was the problem. Siri did not want you to go to Hardee's. Fortunately we don't have them here (only their close relative, Carl's Jr.).

But seriously, are you still on the beta? I experienced a few quirks like that on the betas but so far not on 6.0 GM (granted, have not tested GM too much yet).

Michael

tybirdtybird

Contributor
Bronze
May 6, 2010
Westfield, In
That was the problem. Siri did not want you to go to Hardee's. Fortunately we don't have them here (only their close relative, Carl's Jr.).

But seriously, are you still on the beta? I experienced a few quirks like that on the betas but so far not on 6.0 GM (granted, have not tested GM too much yet).

Michael
Hardee's and Carl's Jr are owned by the same company . Indiana has Hardee's in Denver, Co has Carl's Jr.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I like Waze and MapQuest but if the new integrated tool is better I can/will delete them both.

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I have yet to see incidents on the map when I plot my route. Waze allows the user to report things on or along the roadways (police, accidents, hazards, etc.) and it's almost instant to update on the map. I don't see a way for the new maps app to do this so how does it know about any incidents?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have yet to see incidents on the map when I plot my route. Waze allows the user to report things on or along the roadways (police, accidents, hazards, etc.) and it's almost instant to update on the map. I don't see a way for the new maps app to do this so how does it know about any incidents?
For those who haven't upgraded yet or taken a spin with Maps, here's a video show using navigation with Apple's new Maps app.

Reactions: K.C. and ZR_Yancy

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
lots of chekerboarding and lag. not my cup of tea but thank's for video.

Napoleon Lopez

Bronze
Jun 8, 2011
Slidell, Louisiana
Are you guys positive that the IOS that was released was the same GM copy from last week? It seems odd that they would release such a buggy GM version and just release the final version a week later. I am having notification problems, battery issues, Apple maps problems, wifi problems etc. Basically a lot of what some of you have posted. But like i said i am surprised that Apple would release a final version that buggy. I know all os they release may contain bugs, and they eventually put out fixes to those bugs. But still. Getting back to this orginal question. I am sorta like meh. I like the concept of passbook. But i think it needs work. The Apple maps program needs some more google maps features that it is missing. And it runs glitchy. Other than that, pretty much a lot of the same for me. I do like the facebook integration. Even though some despise that. And i like what they are doing with Siri. Although if you had a jailbroken phone, you already had that facebook post in your notification center. Those post to facebook icons in your photo album. As well as programs that allowed Siri to do much the same as you see now. But Siri seems like it is still in beta form. Sometimes it says it knows what movies are playing in my area. Sometimes it says there are no movies playing. Same thing with restaurants etc. Anyhow, they don't really innovate in their OS. They basically integrate the best of Android, Blackberry, and jailbroken apps. But overall i think they still have some work to do, but it is still the most stable os you will find. Even if it is kind of buggy at times.

Reactions: JDem

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Are you guys positive that the IOS that was released was the same GM copy from last week? It seems odd that they would release such a buggy GM version and just release the final version a week later. I am having notification problems, battery issues, Apple maps problems, wifi problems etc. Basically a lot of what some of you have posted. But like i said i am surprised that Apple would release a final version that buggy. I know all os they release may contain bugs, and they eventually put out fixes to those bugs. But still. Getting back to this orginal question. I am sorta like meh. I like the concept of passbook. But i think it needs work. The Apple maps program needs some more google maps features that it is missing. And it runs glitchy. Other than that, pretty much a lot of the same for me. I do like the facebook integration. Even though some despise that. And i like what they are doing with Siri. Although if you had a jailbroken phone, you already had that facebook post in your notification center. Those post to facebook icons in your photo album. As well as programs that allowed Siri to do much the same as you see now. But Siri seems like it is still in beta form. Sometimes it says it knows what movies are playing in my area. Sometimes it says there are no movies playing. Same thing with restaurants etc. Anyhow, they don't really innovate in their OS. They basically integrate the best of Android, Blackberry, and jailbroken apps. But overall i think they still have some work to do, but it is still the most stable os you will find. Even if it is kind of buggy at times.
I think we need 6.0.1 pronto.

I'm still having the same issue with Messages app as I did during the betas (and reported it).

Michael

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
He was clearly not on wifi, that may of been his problem. May not help that Apples servers are slammed today.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
humm i never use wifi with my gps maybe that's because when i use it. i'm not at home and i am usually trying to get to some place that i have never been too. so what good it is if it can't work properly on my data network.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Well, I'm sitting in traffic that's stop and go on I-295. Pulled out my iPhone 5 to see what was going on with all this traffic. Looks like incidents works!
I'm still wondering how incidents are reported.
image.jpg

image.jpg

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Well, I'm sitting in traffic that's stop and go on I-295. Pulled out my iPhone 5 to see what was going on with all this traffic. Looks like incidents works!
I'm still wondering how incidents are reported.
View attachment 24930

View attachment 24931
Probably by Waze

although it would be super cool if an iPhone detected a sudden jolt, say, 60mph to 0, and automatically reported it as an accident

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I didn't realize I could see roadwork as well! I'm loving it! I don't care what they say about Maps. It's gonna be better than Google Maps when they get everything ironed out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
I didn't realize I could see roadwork as well! I'm loving it! I don't care what they say about Maps. It's gonna be better than Google Maps when they get everything ironed out.

View attachment 25068

View attachment 25069
i always though that was why you by Apple products, was because they don't release sub-par apps? so if your trying to say that Apple maps is better than google maps. i have to say you could have never been soo wrong. google maps blows away Apple maps. and that's a fact not my opinion. if you disagree please provide proof or links i would love to see them.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think Apple released Siri and Maps before they were fully "ready" because both of these features require crowdsourcing data to be fully developed. With millions of users contributing, they improve considerably. Just look at Siri's recognition of accents now compare to when it was introduced.