Turn LTE on or off?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by besweeet, Jun 6, 2013.

1. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Lately, I've been thinking about just turning LTE off, as AT&T's "4G" is pretty decent stuff:
    photomed.png

I'm thinking about doing this because:
    • "4G" signal strength generally seems higher than LTE
    • Battery life should technically increase, right?
    • Speeds are plenty fast for me, and I might end up using less data. For example, when I start playing back a YouTube video, the video buffers/downloads so quickly on LTE to where, most of the time, I don't even watch an entire video, so it would be a waste of bandwidth. 4G isn't as fast, so I guess it would act as sort of a speed limiter.
    In terms of negatives, "4G" being more "crowded" than LTE could be a problem in heavy areas, whereas LTE won't be as saturated. LTE should also provide faster speeds in low-signal areas.
    Thoughts?

2. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I found LTE to be slower than 4G so I turned it off.

3. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I turn off LTE when I don't have my charger attached, as it drains my battery at an increased rate.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I live in a strong LTE signal area and most of my daily life takes place within 20 miles of that area so I usually have a fairly strong LTE signal. My maximum download speeds are around 60MBPS with uploads around 19 MBPS and average about half of that. I did, however, turn LTE off for about a week to see if it would have any effect on battery life, speed of webpage loads etc. There seemed to be no change in battery life, however, webpages, e-mails (with attachments) and web based apps were definitely loading much slower, so I turned LTE back on. I have found that when traveling away from home for an extended period in low LTE signal areas and especially in non LTE areas that turning LTE off definitely increased battery life and 4G speeds are roughly 4-6 MBPS download and 1-2 MBPS upload and those speeds, while slower, are more than enough for any and all activity. Only once did I have issues with streaming video and that was because the phone couldn't find LTE 0r 4G and dropped down to Edge.

5. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

I have not seen a battery increase on my phone when I was without LTE for a couple of weeks in the US (AT&T prepaid didn't support it at the time), if anything my battery stayed exactly the same. Then again I live in the downtown area of Calgary, so I consistently have 5 bars of LTE around the clock, it would be different if my phone was struggling for a connection I'm sure.

6. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Interesting... By "low LTE signal areas," how many bars are you referring to? I get no less than 3 bars all the time, averaging around 4.

7. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I would love to have an LTE toggle to avoid the battery drain and not have to go into settings, general and Cellular.

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'm referring to areas giving me 3 bars or less.

9. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Why does LTE burn so much battery?

And, the speeds really aren't that good.

Sent using iCafe app

10. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

Here is my LTE. I many times turn off my WiFi as there is some weaker areas in my house and I never notice any major increase in battery usage.

Attached Files:

11. vanyas

vanyas New Member

turn it off it's not that much faster then 4G plus battery think about that

Sent using iCafe app

12. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I have never turned my LTE off and my battery life is really good all the time. I end my 10 hour work day with about 60 percent left everyday. That's just awesome to me. Will be keeping mine on.

Sent from my smoking white hot iPhone 5 on AT&T.

13. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

The only time I noticed a problem having LTE on was when I was at a large Seattle arts festival this past labor day weekend and I am fairly certain that it was due to the fact that there were over 100,000 people attending, thus LTE capable phones would lock on, then off, then on, then off….and I noticed a pretty big drain.

The turned it into an experiment by toggling it on or off each day and the ones it was off, my battery lasted a lot longer.

But that was just with it constantly searching for the signal, when I'm in the same area without that many other people all using cell phones, then my battery life is fine.