Turn your iPod Touch (or iPhone) into a 3G iPhone now! Step-by-Step Guide

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Stelios

Oct 10, 2007
Pyrofer has discovered how to turn his iPod Touch into a 3G iPhone by using a Windows Mobile based phone as a bridge, and published a full step by step guide.

http://www.pyrofersprojects.com/3gipod

It also enables iPhone to work on 3G with the only disadvantage being you have to hide a Windows phone somewhere about your person. No hacking necessary! This will upset Apple a lot.

Buxton

Oct 10, 2007
Hahahaha, what a load of wank.

Who in their right mind would want to hook their iPhone into a Windows mobile, whilst hiding said mobile just so they can enjoy faster download speeds on the iPhone, get a grip and wait for the 3G chipset to be implemented into future generations of the iPhone.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Hahahaha, what a load of wank.

Who in their right mind would want to hook their iPhone into a Windows mobile, whilst hiding said mobile just so they can enjoy faster download speeds on the iPhone, get a grip and wait for the 3G chipset to be implemented into future generations of the iPhone.
The author of the web article didn't have an iPhone, but an iPod Touch. He didn't "hook up" the Touch "into" the WM phone, but used WiFi to connect the two. Therefore, the author's solution is a great one to give iPod Touch 3G data capability on the go.

I agree it would be silly to do this for an iPhone because you'd be carrying two phones.

Buxton

Oct 10, 2007
The author of the web article didn't have an iPhone, but an iPod Touch. He didn't "hook up" the Touch "into" the WM phone, but used WiFi to connect the two. Therefore, the author's solution is a great one to give iPod Touch 3G data capability on the go.

I agree it would be silly to do this for an iPhone because you'd be carrying two phones.
Okay, for the iPod Touch, definitely, as you'd more than likely have a mobile phone too, but in the title of the OP it says iPhone also which is ridiculous.

I've not yet got an iPhone, launch is Nov. 9th so still a while to wait but having EDGE is fine for me when I do get it, simply having all those things combined into one will do me happily, once I get more accustomed to it though I'll start getting greedier and want 3G speeds no doubt.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
There is a semi-practical application for this. If you're riding around with someone with a wm 3g phone could provide a nice fast connection.

kr3st

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Winter Park / Orlando, FL
I carry 2 phones around at all times... My personal phone(iPhone) and my work phone(Treo750 3G) but what my question is my treo 750 does not have wifi on it so how will this solution work for me? It has 3G and i can edit all that reg stuff but i do not have wifi on it, so i take it will not work for me?

should of got a 8525...

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I carry 2 phones around at all times... My personal phone(iPhone) and my work phone(Treo750 3G) but what my question is my treo 750 does not have wifi on it so how will this solution work for me? It has 3G and i can edit all that reg stuff but i do not have wifi on it, so i take it will not work for me?

should of got a 8525...
Nope, according to the article, this is a wifi only workaround. Lack of wifi is one of the reasons I left Palm devices. Because the iPhone still lacks serial BT capability, that's not going to be a viable fix, either.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Believe it or not I saw this article and immediately started thinking how I could use this to a.) justify purchasing a Touch and b.) justify carrying both as I could then feed EDGE to the Touch via my iPhone. Hey, think of it as carrying a sleek extra battery!

--
Mike

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Believe it or not I saw this article and immediately started thinking how I could use this to a.) justify purchasing a Touch and b.) justify carrying both as I could then feed EDGE to the Touch via my iPhone. Hey, think of it as carrying a sleek extra battery!

--
Mike
Let me get this straight ---- you thought about this so you can spend $300-400 to carry around another device (Albeit it is slimmer) with the same browser, same screen size, and arguably an inferior screen to piggy back off the iPhone EDGE connection rather than just use the iPhone you already own.

Ohhhhh ok, that makes sense. LOL!

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007

Bummer if your smartphone doesn't have wifi, since the Ipot doesn't have bluetooth.. oh well I am in that boat