Turned off randomly(50% battery) and wouldn't turn on

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Jdsmitty10, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I was streaming music in my car via mobile hotspot connection on the way home from work today. My iPhone 5 was in my pocket the while time never touched. Bout half way home it started buffering on my cars screen so I just switched to satellite radio. When I got home and pulled my phone out of my pocket it felt warm and had a black screen. Tried turning it on and nothing. Plugged it in thinkin it mysteriously went through 50% battery and still got nothing. I then just held both home and lock button for ten seconds and it finally reacted by showing the Apple and started back up. What's up with this? Anyone else experience something like this? The Phone is in perfect condition and never dropped or anything.

Thanks!

Sent using iCafe app

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Occasional "hiccups" like these are normal, you did the right thing by hard resetting it. Just keep an eye on it and if it happens again then restore as new, not from backup and see if that fixes the issue.

Sent using iCafe app

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

iPhones are computers after all and it makes no difference what hardware or operating system you use, you will occasionally run into the unusual or unexplainable event. Rebooting will cure 99 out of 100 if these events and this can be considered normal. My PC does this once or twice a month and usually it is not the same problem that crops up. All it takes is for the hard drive to misread one bit out of the several million bits that are required to start the computer and operating system and you can wind up with unusual happenings. Considering the complexity of loading and starting a computer with its operating system, I'm really surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

Having said all that, if you notice problems happening with more and more regularity, it may be more than the normal, occasional "Glitch" and should be looked at more closely.

4. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it was just a glitch like you both said..

Sent using iCafe app

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

My bet is that it got too hot in your pocket. Glad it's working again...

6. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

It happened again this morning.. Phone was on when it went in my pocket.. Tried connecting to my car through hotspot but it didn't work so I just listed to reg radio. Got to work and found my phone off again. Held both buttons and got it to come back. Do you think it's caused by the hotspot and car? Only time it has happened is after being connect to the car or attempting to connect to the car..

Sent using iCafe app

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

If you haven't tried it already, connect your phone to your computer and restore the phone from a backup in iTunes. This will restore both the iOS operating system and all the user content at the time the backup was made. If it happens again after a restore then it may be time to call Apple or pay a visit to the nearest Apple store. Good luck with it and let us know what happens.