Tutorial - Mac & PC 1.1.3 Jailbreak (1.5-2hrs)

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Foreward: This guide was originally written by psybert of the Hackint0sh forums. You can visit this original forum post here:

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?p=195983#post195983

I have edited his post to also support Mac users as it was originally written for PC users. I've also edited his tutorial to be more current with the latest Dev Team Jailbreak as well as added solutions to any speed bumps you may encounter as a result.

This guide was written for the Offical 1.1.3 Upgrader, and not any other means of jailbreaking 1.1.3. If you choose to use a different method at that step, you are entirely on your own.

Using this guide you will have a fully functional Jailbroken 1.1.3 phone. The basic goal of this guide is to upgrade to stock 1.1.3 and then downgrade to 1.1.1 and keep the 1.1.3 baseband all the way through the 1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.3 jailbreak and update process, and then finally transfer over the 1.1.3 lockdownd file.

This Guide is for carrier locked, iTunes activated, iPhone data plans only. You must have activated your phone using iTunes
• US Customers with AT&T AND an iPhone data plan AND who have activated through iTunes.
• UK Customers with O2 AND an iPhone data plan AND who have activated through iTunes
• Germany Customers with T-Mobile AND an iPhone data plan AND who have activated through iTunes

FAQ
• This guide works for 1.1.2 OTB phones w/ the latest bootloader.
• This method and guide was designed for the Dev Team's Official 1.1.3 Upgrader through Installer
• You will need to free up space on your OS partition as a final clean up step. To do this, we will be using BossTool which can be downloaded from the Installer Source http://sleepers.net/iphonrepo

What you'll get using this guide:
• 1.1.3 Jailbroken w/ all features
• Google "Locate Me" working natively(you don't need 3rd party apps to help)
• Default Ringtones working out of the gate.
• Processor and Memory clock increase of 1.1.2.
• Working phone w/ latest baseband
• Wiggily icons! (You know that's why you are upgrading!)

Stuff you'll need to have beforehand:
• Windows XP
• Relatively Current Mac running Leopard
• Carrier Locked iTunes activated Phone w/ SIM. (US-AT&T, UK-O2, etc.)
• WiFi Internet.
• 2 hours.
1.1.1 ipsw
1.1.2 ipsw
1.1.3 ipsw
iBrickr .91 (PC)
1.1.2 Jailbreak package
Stock 1.1.3 lockdownd file
iTunes 7.6.029
WinSCP (PC)
CyberDuck (SCP for Mac)
iNdependence (for Mac -- used to exit recovery mode)

The main headings provide the basic information, and beneath it are the details. Just a couple of warnings up front: you'll lose your current 3rd party apps (oh noes), do not downgrade your baseband, and do not mess with or do anything with your phone or computer while it's doing an update. You'll also receive many bad sim errors all the way through the installation process, even on the last step.

so here goes:

1. Prepping iTunes and back up files.
• Install latest version of iTunes, restart PC.
• Turn off automatic syncing and launching of iTunes when you connect your phone
• Backup your phone in iTunes.
• Manually backup your pictures via Windows explorer just in case.
• Check your Address Book on Mac, or your Outlook Contacts on PC to make sure that they are current. Your iPhone will lose this information during the backup/restore process because 1.1.3 backup files are not compatible with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. You will be required to set up your phone as new and as a result will have to import this data again.
• I want to stress here that you should have backed up your contact data and double checked it in your desktop, seriously.

2. DFU Restore to 1.1.3 stock
• Connect your phone to your PC and open iTunes.
• Hold down the power and home buttons on your phone.
• When your phone goes black and you hear the disconnect beep, release the power button while still holding down the home button. After about 20 seconds or so you'll hear the connect and disconnect beep, and iTunes will show a message about your phone being in recovery mode.
• Shift-Click (Option Click - Mac) on RESTORE and select your 1.1.3 file.
• After that is complete you should have a relatively normal and boring 1.1.3 phone.

3. DFU Restore to 1.1.1
• Connect your phone to your PC and open iTunes.
• Hold down the power and home buttons on your phone.
• When your phone goes black and you hear the disconnect beep, release the power button while still holding down the home button. After about 20 seconds or so you'll hear the connect and disconnect beep, and iTunes will show a message about your phone being in recovery mode.
• Shift click (Option Click - Mac) on RESTORE, and find your 1.1.1 file.
• After the restore is complete you'll get an error

4. Normal Recover to 1.1.1
• After iTunes gives you an error about your first restore, shift-click (Option Click - Mac) and RESTORE again, and select the 1.1.1 file again. After the restore is complete you'll get another error.

5. iBrickr .91 to boot your phone or Independence for Mac
• Your phone should now be stuck with a connect to iTunes message or something.
• Extract iBrickr .91, and run the iBrickr.exe
• Click "boot my phone"
• If on a Mac, mount the Independence Disk Image and Launch Independence. It will automatically connect to your iPhone and boot it out of Recovery Mode. (We will use this for each instance)
• Afterwards your phone screen should be red, and your phone will eventually boot up.

6. Jailbreak 1.1.1
• Your phone will say something like "bad sim card" or whatever. This is fine, remember, we're not going to get the actual phone part to work until the last step.
• Slide for emergency and call *#306#. Then call 0, Hit answer, then hold, then decline.
• Now hit the contacts button.
• Make a new contact and add two URL addresses to it:
prefs:
jailbreakme.com
• Save your contact and hit the prefs: URL, this will bring you to the services app.
• Setup your wifi connection, and set the autolock to never, hit the home button.
• Slide for emergency, dial 0, hit answer, then hold, then decline.
• Hit contacts again, goto your contact and hit jailbreakme.com, then install appsnapp.
• Your phone should now be a nice iPod touch.

7. Restore phone from backup or setup as new phone
• iTunes will now recognize your phone, and ask you to restore from backup (if you have one).
Unfortunately 1.1.3 backup files are not compatible with 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, so we will have to set up the phone as new, and restore our contacts from Address Book or Outlook once we're back on 1.1.3. You did back up your contacts from step 1 right?

8. Prep for 1.1.2 Jailbreak
Notice: A recent update to Jailbreakme.com states it will automatically install Oktoprep after it JB's 1.1.1 for you. It does not install correctly, so please continue to MANUALLY INSTALL OKTOPREP AS STATED IN THIS TUTORIAL
• After the restore is complete, goto installer.app and install Ocktoprep under 1.1.1 tweaks.
• Do not install anything else at this time.

9. UPDATE to 1.1.2/Jailbreak
• Go into iTunes and shift click (Option Click - Mac) on UPDATE and select your 1.1.2 file. NOTE: Do not hit restore, shift-click (Option Click - Mac) UPDATE.
• After this is complete you'll get an error.
• You may or may not get stuck in Recovery Mode after this update, (Connect to iTunes screen) if so run Independence or iBrickr to get out
• Extract and Run the 1.1.2 Jailbreak, for windows double click Windows.bat or on Mac, Jailbreak.jar.
• Again, you also may or may not get stuck in Recovery Mode after this jailbreak process. It's best to wait at least 30 minutes before attempting to reboot your phone. You can tell how long it's been "stuck" by what time it's clock stopped working. If stuck at Recovery on reboot, (Connect to iTunes screen), run Independence or iBrickr to get out

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Part 2

10. Soft Upgrade to 1.1.3
• So we now have our 1.1.2 iPhone jailbroken w/o phone capabilities.
• Run Installer and make sure your Installer.app is the LATEST VERSION 3.0, Update if necessary
• Install Community Sources
• Install the NEWEST version of BSD Subsystem 2.0
• Make sure you have a Wifi Connection
• On iPhone Settings -> General -> AUTOLOCK SET TO NEVER
• Run Installer and find the Dev Team's Official 1.1.3 Upgrader
• Install it
• Run it
• Grab a sandwhich and come back in 45 min to 1 hour
• If stuck, reboot the phone and use iBrickr or Independence to boot from recovery

11. 1.1.3 Jailbroken
• If all went well you should now be on a jailbroken 1.1.3
• Your phone capabilities may not work yet if iTunes did not automatically activate your iPhone at this point. We will fix this in the steps to come.

12. Install BSD 2.0 & SSH
• Run installer.app
• Install the latest version of SSH
• Exit out of installer
• If your iPhone has not activated itself through iTunes and you cannot make outgoing calls, proceed to the step below. If your phone is activated, you can skip the last step of this tutorial because you're done :)

13. Transfer lockdownd chmod 777 *Optional Step Only for people experiencing Activation Problems
• Install WinSCP to your PC and launch it. Or CyberDuck on Mac.
• Go into your settings app on your phone and find out your phones IP address.
• For Mac Users, in CyberDuck press the Bookmarks button, followed by the + button to add a new bookmark. Name the Bookmark, for Protocol select SFTP (SSH) from the pulldown menu. Enter your iPhone's IP for the Server, set username to root, and use alpine as the password when prompted.
• For PC Users, in WinSCP click on NEW, type in your phones IP in the Hostname box, username is root, password is alpine. You can then click on the advanced options and connections and set the timeout to 60 seconds. Click Save. Click Login.
• After about 30-45 seconds or so you'll be prompted with a message, just hit OK. You should now be looking at your phones file system.
• For PC Users, in WinSCP, on the left side, navigate to the directory where you downloaded the lockdownd file. On the right side of the window, navigate to /usr/libexec.
• For Mac Users, browse to /usr/libexec in CyberDuck, in Finder browse to where you saved the lockdownd file
• Rename the phone version of lockdownd to lockdownd_old. Drag your new lockdownd file into this directory.
• Right click on the new file you just transfered over to your phone (right side window), goto properties (Get Info on Mac) and set the permissions to 0777, or just click all the check boxes in the first, second, and third columns. Hit OK, and then verify this just incase.
• Disconnect your phone, close iTunes, Reboot your phone.
• Open iTunes and then connect your phone. iTunes should instantly activate your phone.

14. Install BossTool .35 and Recover Space
• Run Installer and Install the Community Sources if they were lost in the previous Jailbreak
• Find BossTool .35 and install it
• Launch BossTool and tap Free Disk Space
• Tap the Fonts, Ringtones and Apps, one after another waiting for each to finish before pressing the next.
• You should have recovered at least 86 megs, with 100+ being better than average (results vary)

DONE! Everything should work fine now, including your phone, the hybrid google maps, locate me, your default ringtones, and of course installer! Feel free to install all of your applications back!

Footnote
Some people run into problems with their Mail not saving their passwords, or contact information not syncing with their desktops. I have not run into any of these problems personally having jailbroken 1.1.3 twice now. In the event that it does, you can find simple fixes for these and other random occurrences in Installer. They will be clearly labeled MAIL FIX or SYNCH FIX etc. Again, I have not run into any of these problems, but in the event you do, your solutions can be found on Installer.

If you cannot find these fixes, make sure you install the additional Sources: "Big boss's experimental and beta repository." This source should be listed after adding the http://sleepers.net/iPhonerepo source from the earlier BossTool step.

Dev Team Sync Fix (Only for those with Sync Issues)
The Dev Team also offers a Sync Fix for those who are experiencing problems. Look for the syncfix.sh file in this archive and transfer it over to the the very main directory of your phone aka just plain ol' "/". Run the SH script from a Terminal window: # sh install.sh

Additionally you may want to browse this thread farther in to Tinman's post where he trouble shoots a few quirks he ran into.

Having Installer Problems? Error Download Package Failed!
Just an FYI here, I ran into a really strange problem with Installer when I went to put SSH and a few other programs on the iPhone. It kept saying Error: Package Download Failed! each time I tried to download. After plenty of failed attempts I realized that if you first try to install and it says failed, just press the Clear Queue button, tap your application and press install again, and it should work after doing this a couple of times.

----

Thats it folks, please post your results

Last edited by a moderator:

AppleSVT

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Tried this one earlier too...still a no go...has anyone else had problems getting past the first step (restoring the iPhone to 1.1.1)?

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
1.1.3 JB log

Originally posted in this thread

Heres a web log of my Jailbreak process using this tutorial.

Update 11:55

Just got done installing 1.1.3, now I'm downgrading to 1.1.1 to turn my iPhone into an ipod Touch.

This is all so exciting! It's like gambling, except you know the odds are in your favor

Update 11:58

Just got my first 1.1.1 error. Restoring again to get it stuck in the connect to iTunes screen.

Update 12:05

Went through the bit where you get into the iPhone by having it call itself. That was sweet, I felt like a hacker for a moment. Hello? Angelina?

Update 12:11

Oktoprep installed, updating to 1.1.2

Update 12:17

Ran Jailbreak.jar trying to boot from Recovery

Update 12:19

Jailbreak.jar wouldn't boot from Recovery, but Independence did. Ran Jailbreak.jar again and now its reading the flash image

Update 12:23

I think it finished JBing 1.1.2. I can't tell its at the Connect to iTunes screen rebooting. The JB said its going to do that a couple times before it gets things sorted. Gonna let it reboot a couple more times before I launch independence again to get it out of recovery.

Update 12:26

Independence saves the day again! In 1.1.2 prepping for 1.1.3 upgrade

Update 12:33

Installing BSD Subsystem 2.0 and updating Installer. I'm going to do the Installer soft update to 1.1.3

Update 12:37

"Here we go. Running Install Script - have a sandwhich" well I'm on my way to 1.1.3

Update 1:01

iPhone just reboot, lets see where I end up, connect to iTunes, or Springboard...

Update 1:03

Springboard just launched with the 1.1.3 homescreen update prompt. Installer is onscreen.

Checking Google Maps Find me. Locate Me or Navizon are not installed.

SUCCESS! Google Maps works Natively

Now time to get my phone working like a phone again!

Update 1:09

OpenSSH is installed, time to move over that lockd file.

Update 1:15

Copied over the default lockdownd file, connecting to iTunes to get activated.

Update 1:16

Waiting for Activation. This may take a moment.

Activated.

1.1.3, Google Maps working natively, and back on the AT&T network.

I'm going to restore my files and call it a night.

Update 1:29

Just got done restoring my contacts and media while I read this post over. I realized I tried Find Me in Google Maps while on Wifi, which doesn't touch the baseband. I just tried it now with Wifi turned off and I'm happy to report it works. I've rebooted a few times since I last tried on Wifi so nothing was cached.

Last edited by a moderator:

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Tried this one earlier too...still a no go...has anyone else had problems getting past the first step (restoring the iPhone to 1.1.1)?
What happens if you change the ipsw to .zip and unzip it? Does it unzip to a folder with files in it? If it doesn't, your ipsw is corrupt.

In the other thread you mentioned that the Apple site went down for you, but when i checked in the same time frame as your post I was able to connect and download fine. Are you sure you're not getting interference or having connectivity problems?

AppleSVT

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
If i unzip the ipsw file all the files and folders are there. When the Apple site was "down" earlier it was just my browser acting funny because it had some updates to do, so i switched over to safari and downloaded all the ipsw files again. I notice that it says to install a stock 1.1.3, which i figured i had installed but im going to do it anyways just to be sure.

EDIT - double and triple checked...i swear i can hear my phone laughing at me. Im going to bed...tomorrow is another day

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
If i unzip the ipsw file all the files and folders are there. When the Apple site was "down" earlier it was just my browser acting funny because it had some updates to do, so i switched over to safari and downloaded all the ipsw files again. I notice that it says to install a stock 1.1.3, which i figured i had installed but im going to do it anyways just to be sure.
Yeah, lol.

You GOTTA upgrade to a stock "boring" 1.1.3 to go down to 1.1.1 that first time :p

AppleSVT

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
ok then i have been doing everything properly...i guess it just wast meant to be...im going to count my losses and go to bed...thanks for your help though, i appreciate it =D

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
@ X666X: Thanks mate for providing such a comprehensive guide, & also for sharing a blow-by-blow log of your jailbreak attempt. Since I have a jailbroken OTB 1.1.2 phone that works perfectly, I was planning on waiting until SDK (& 1.1.4) before upgrading. However, your guide just might push me into trying the upgrade now. I want jiggly icons darn it! (just not at the expense of all the issues I've read about, especially from other 1.1.2 OTB owners).

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
11. Soft Upgrade to 1.1.3
• So we now have our 1.1.2 iPhone jailbroken w/o phone capabilities.
• Run Installer and update your Installer.app to the LATEST VERSION 3.0b10
• Install Community Sources
• Install the NEWEST version of BSD Subsystem 2.0
• Make sure you have a Wifi Connection
• On iPhone Settings -> General -> AUTOLOCK SET TO NEVER
<need actual jailbreak step here!>

12. Install BSD 2.0 & SSH
• Run installer.app
• Install the latest version of SSH
• Exit out of installer.

13. Transfer lockdownd chmod 777
• Install WinSCP to your PC and launch it. Or CyberDuck on Mac.
• Go into your settings app on your phone and find out your phones IP address.
• For Mac Users, in CyberDuck press the Bookmarks button, followed by the + button to add a new bookmark. Name the Bookmark, for Protocol select SFTP (SSH) from the pulldown menu. Enter your iPhone's IP for the Server, set username to root, and use alpine as the password when prompted.
• For PC Users, in WinSCP click on NEW, type in your phones IP in the Hostname box, username is root, password is alpine. You can then click on the advanced options and connections and set the timeout to 60 seconds. Click Save. Click Login.
• After about 30-45 seconds or so you'll be prompted with a message, just hit OK. You should now be looking at your phones file system.
• For PC Users, in WinSCP, on the left side, navigate to the directory where you downloaded the lockdownd file. On the right side of the window, navigate to /usr/libexec.
• For Mac Users, browse to /usr/libexec in CyberDuck, in Finder browse to where you saved the lockdownd file
• Rename the phone version of lockdownd to lockdownd_old. Drag your new lockdownd file into this directory.
• Right click on the new file you just transfered over to your phone (right side window), goto properties (Get Info on Mac) and set the permissions to 0777, or just click all the check boxes in the first, second, and third columns. Hit OK, and then verify this just incase.
• Disconnect your phone, close iTunes, Reboot your phone.
• Open iTunes and then connect your phone. iTunes should instantly activate your phone.

14. Install BossTool .35 and Recover Space
• Run Installer and Install the Community Sources if they were lost in the previous Jailbreak
• Find BossTool .35 and install it
• Launch BossTool and tap Free Disk Space
• Tap the Fonts, Ringtones and Apps, one after another waiting for each to finish before pressing the next.
• You should have recovered at least 86 megs, with 100+ being better than average (results vary)

DONE! Everything should work fine now, including your phone, the hybrid google maps, locate me, your default ringtones, and of course installer! Feel free to install all of your applications back!

----

Thats it folks, please post your results
Looks like a nice tut, 999/666, but I think you forgot to include the most important step: the actual 1.1.3 jailbreak step! LOL

FWIW I am going to start over with a fresh 1.1.3 (fully restored with baseband 4.03.13). Actually I've already restore to 1.1.3 as I had to see at least one rented movie work (it did!).

Anyhoo, will be starting the long road down, then back up again, shortly...

--
Mike

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks for catching that Tinman! The RTF file on my Mac has it, I must have totally forgot to paste that bit in as it was an editing afterthought. Someone named psybert posted this originall on Hackint0sh, but who here goes there? Lol, anyway I give him the credit for the bulk of the work, I just added the mac bits and changed it to a 1.1.3 soft JB instead of using the older versions (nate/dev).

As you could see, that edit didn't got to well, lol.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Here are my notes from going from 1.1.3 jb (Nate's) to 1.1.3 full (no jb), down to 1.1.1, up to 1.12, and finally, to jb 1.1.3 again (dev team's this time):

Before starting I backed up my latest iPhone backup:
C:\Documents and Settings\tinman\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup to:
C:\Documents and Settings\tinman\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup-013007

1.) Went from 1.1.3 jb to 1.1.3 restored via iTunes. Didn't need/use DFU. No errors. (Used iTunes 7.6.)

2.) Tried dfu.exe but it didn't work in stock 1.1.3. Used button hold-down DFU trick to restore to 1.1.1. Got error 1015.

3.) Tried to use iBrickr .91 (just for the heck of it) and it would not get iPhone to boot (green instead of red screen).

4.) Did a regular restore to 1.1.1 in iTunes. Got another 1015 error at the end. Used iBrickr .91 again and this time it booted the iPhone.

5.) iTunes recognized iPhone but gave incorrect SIM message (expected, since I am now on BB 4.03.13).

8.) Used *#306# trick to set prefs and then jailbreak 1.1.1 (jailbreakme.com). Successfully jailbroke 1.1.1. Springboard is up!

9.) iTunes wanted to restore from my backup but it failed so I set it up as a new iPhone. Didn't choose to sync anything. Once the non-sync finished the only thing showing loaded on my iPhone was 14.4 MB of "Other."

10.) Installed Oktoprep.

11.) Updated (not restored) to 1.1.2. Ended in error 1015 but iBrickr cleared that up.

12.) iPhone was not activated and stuck in emergency call mode but I ran the 1.1.2 jailbreak anyway. It ran without issue.

13.) Now at jailbroken 1.1.2. Springboard shows! Still can't make calls, naturally.

14.) Used Installer to update Installer, install BSD subsystem 2.0, and install the 1.1.3 soft jailbreak (ConceitedSoftware source). Set auto-lock to never then ran the 1.1.3 jailbreak update from the springboard.

15.) Waited. Waited. Waited. While waiting I checked (on my PC) to see if the iPhone backup had changed (I backed up the backup before starting this process). It had not changed, ergo I should be able to use the backup to get back my settings and whatnot.

16.) After going through many phases, jailbreak was finally at "Writing image" which should be about the last step (took about 45 minutes to get to that point). Yep, that was the last step. Now at springboard in jb 1.1.3.

17.) iTunes showing 195 MB of "Other."

18.) Binary compared my existing lockdownd with the one downloaded. They were identical so I didn't bother replacing it.

After this things went downhill fast. I have to say the dev team jailbreak is waaaayyy more trouble-prone than Nate's.

Things I had to contend with, that weren't a problem before (have done four 1.1.3 jailbreaks, but they were all done using Nate's method):

* Speaker didn't work. Had to go into preferences and reset all to get that to work.

* Contact syncing didn't work right (from iPhone to PC). SyncFix didn't help this and I am still checking into it (since more pressing issues surfaced). Also, iTunes refused to sync due to some sort of library issue.

* After moving Applications to /Var (BossTool) the iPhone went into an endless springboard reboot cycle. Nothing would stop it. After almost restoring and starting over I went in via SSH and removed the Applications symlink. Didn't seem to help. Went in again and found some weirdness in Preferences. Deleted a nested symlink, and perhaps a few other things (that I knew the iPhone could/would recreate on its own). Suddenly the endless reboots stopped. Weird. iTunes syncing worked again.

Anyhoo, I think I got everything sorted out now. All the problems have been solved.

And Google Maps locate works now! Not sure if I am imagining it or not but I think it's more accurate now, than before after using the LocateMe trick (haven't even installed LocateMe yet).

Whew...

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Looks like a nice tut, 999/666, but I think you forgot to include the most important step: the actual 1.1.3 jailbreak step! LOL

FWIW I am going to start over with a fresh 1.1.3 (fully restored with baseband 4.03.13). Actually I've already restore to 1.1.3 as I had to see at least one rented movie work (it did!).

Anyhoo, will be starting the long road down, then back up again, shortly...

--
Mike
Which of the various - four, five now? - jailbreaks are you going to use this time?

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Awesome work Mike. I'm surprised I didn't run into any of those hiccups you did with the Dev team's version. I did theirs twice now, not sure why it's not consistent with other phones.

Perhaps if we could get another Mac person to try this we could find out if the JB runs into issues depending on waht platform you're using to get there. I typically do this stuff on my PC, but decided on the Mac this time around, I don't know if that was to my benefit or not.

I really can't think of any other reason why our results would vary that much, because theoretically, we are all starting from the same blank canvas after all the downgrading/upgrading. I'm not a programmar, or savvy in that repsect, so it could be any number of things, but if I was a betting man, thats where I'd start.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Awesome work Mike. I'm surprised I didn't run into any of those hiccups you did with the Dev team's version. I did theirs twice now, not sure why it's not consistent with other phones.

Perhaps if we could get another Mac person to try this we could find out if the JB runs into issues depending on waht platform you're using to get there. I typically do this stuff on my PC, but decided on the Mac this time around, I don't know if that was to my benefit or not.

I really can't think of any other reason why our results would vary that much, because theoretically, we are all starting from the same blank canvas after all the downgrading/upgrading. I'm not a programmar, or savvy in that repsect, so it could be any number of things, but if I was a betting man, thats where I'd start.
I too, had more difficulties with DevTeam's version. My phone would often freeze and get stuck in reboot...it was frustrating. So I ended up rejailbreaking, but using Nate's method instead. No problems at all (I've had it running for 3 days now). I'm on Windows, by the way.

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Here are my notes from going from 1.1.3 jb (Nate's) to 1.1.3 full (no jb), down to 1.1.1, up to 1.12, and finally, to jb 1.1.3 again (dev team's this time):

Before starting I backed up my latest iPhone backup:
.......--
Mike
Wow! seeing all of the trouble you had makes me hesitant to start over since most everything I use on my iPhone is working since I was able to free up some space using BossTool. Did you need to free up space too?

Mike, just curious, what drove you to start over (other than just for the fun of it :) ? I thought your JB went pretty smoothly with Nate's JB? What specific benefits did you want to gain by starting over.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007

I might give this a try over the weekend (I have to use my phone heavily between now & Sunday, so I can't risk anything going wrong w/ it before then--businesss stuff). I am Mac-only, so I'll try your guide, step by step on my C2D Macbook Pro (pre-Santa Rosa). Is Conceited's the only "official dev team" 1.1.3 jb available on installer? I am currently running a week 46 OTB 1.1.2 (so I assume I have the 4.6 bootloader), jailbroken.