TV OUT Capabilities Updated

• Thread starter BugmenotAccount
  • Start date
B

BugmenotAccount

Anybody bought the TV Out Composite cable and care to share updates on the capabilities?

I want to try and watch Google Video through Safari on my TV using the composite cable. If you go to Google Video and pick "Download video for the PSP/iPod" Google Video will start streaming through Safari. Now I want to hook it up to my TV and watch on the big screen :)

WickedZ

Jul 19, 2007
Anybody bought the TV Out Composite cable and care to share updates on the capabilities?

I want to try and watch Google Video through Safari on my TV using the composite cable. If you go to Google Video and pick "Download video for the PSP/iPod" Google Video will start streaming through Safari. Now I want to hook it up to my TV and watch on the big screen :)
I picked up one of these cables and installed it in my car. I can fit 15 movies on the phone (encoded using handbrake w/ a target size of 485 megs)... The cable worked great... anytime you start to play a video it asks "Do you want to play it on the TV", if you hit yes, it shows up there... quality was great, in the ipod options you can setup your tv (widescreen/normal)... I tried the cable out on my big screen first to see how it worked.... the quality of my ripped movies (485 megs) was like watching an on-demand movie from the cable company. More than sufficient for my car, and if you needed better quality you can just use handbrake's default settings for target size.

B

BugmenotAccount

Can you watch streamed video through the cable (on your TV)? For instance if you go to vtap.com and start watching will it play on the TV? Thank you!

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Can you watch YouTube videos on the TV through the phone? And sorry if this is a dumb question but what exactly is the difference between component and composite cables? Don't they both do the same thing?

WickedZ

Jul 19, 2007
Can you watch YouTube videos on the TV through the phone? And sorry if this is a dumb question but what exactly is the difference between component and composite cables? Don't they both do the same thing?
Component cables have 5 connectors... red, green, blue for video and red, white for audio.....

Composite cables have 3 connectors... yellow for video, red, and white for audio....

Component connections are usually seen on newer high definition TV's, they are supposed to have a better color output than composite connections, as the colors (red, blue, and green) are split and passed through individual cables. I personally can't see the difference ;)

My car only has yellow, red, and white inputs, so I had to get the composite cable. And yes.. you can play the videos from teh web out to TV, as when you click on the video it's actually loading it in the phone's quicktime player just like ipod videos.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I picked up one of these cables and installed it in my car. I can fit 15 movies on the phone (encoded using handbrake w/ a target size of 485 megs)... The cable worked great... anytime you start to play a video it asks "Do you want to play it on the TV", if you hit yes, it shows up there... quality was great, in the ipod options you can setup your tv (widescreen/normal)... I tried the cable out on my big screen first to see how it worked.... the quality of my ripped movies (485 megs) was like watching an on-demand movie from the cable company. More than sufficient for my car, and if you needed better quality you can just use handbrake's default settings for target size.
Any chance you could post a picture of your install? I want to start, and am curious how others are handling it. Like your mount etc.

WickedZ

Jul 19, 2007
Any chance you could post a picture of your install? I want to start, and am curious how others are handling it. Like your mount etc.
I can post some pictures tomorrow, but it's nothing special... I have a 350z, I put in a double-din 7" screen where the stock stereo used to be, and I ran the ipod cables under the carpet to the center console, where the cupholders are. I don't have a "mount" of any sort.. I just plug the phone in and stick it in the cupholder in the center... works fine for our purposes :)...

I also ordered one for my truck... haven't installed it yet, but also have a 7" double din there, will run the cable through the pocket right under the screen...

I'll take some pictures tonight