TV out disabled

TheLex

Bronze
Apr 10, 2008
I've enjoyed using the tv out feature on my 80g ipods. I attempted to use the same feature on both my iPhone 16g and my wife's iPhone 8g, but it didn't work. Audio came out of the TV's speakers, but no video. I've checked and rechecked the settings on the iPhone. And I'm using exactly the same cable as I use with my iPods (with the appropriate adapter to allow for a complete "fit" in the phone jack).

Anybody have any thoughts?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
are you using one of Apple's video out cables? the iPhone requires an authentication chip for video output that is only found in Apple's own cables. there have been a few threads about this here - you should search the accessories forum. also, ilounge noted this change in their reviews of Apple's new cables - you can read one of them here...

TheLex

Bronze
Apr 10, 2008
are you using one of Apple's video out cables? the iPhone requires an authentication chip for video output that is only found in Apple's own cables. there have been a few threads about this here - you should search the accessories forum. also, ilounge noted this change in their reviews of Apple's new cables - you can read one of them here...
Arghh. Thanks very much for the quick response. I've searched the forums for info on this, but, guess my search terms didn't work. I also looked at the Apple site, and I got the impression that you could use third party cables (like mine -- it works on my ipod!) for the iPhone.

Guess I'll get another cable.

Thanks again

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Arghh. Thanks very much for the quick response. I've searched the forums for info on this, but, guess my search terms didn't work. I also looked at the Apple site, and I got the impression that you could use third party cables (like mine -- it works on my ipod!) for the iPhone.

Guess I'll get another cable.

Thanks again
no problem. it is disappointing because Apple clearly did this to ensure that we purchase their cables and not cheaper alternatives that could be found elsewhere. a microsoft-like move that i wish they hadn't made... :(