Tweetie 2 vs. SIMplyTweet

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
What are your thoughts on these two applications. I have them both and love them both but there are features about each application that I wish the other had.

SimplyTweet:
Push notifications
badge for unread tweets
can reorganize the bottom buttons of application
don't have to scroll to view all 10 trending topics
different themes

Tweetie 2
Very fast on load up (which is big for me)
the whole interface

I just want to know if anyone else is torn between these or other applications. I am leaning towards going back to SimplyTweet because I know that the developer actually updates the application, whereas Tweetie was hardly updated, that kind of frustrates me.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I like that, too, even though I don't really get that many @replies or DM's, it is nice to know when someone mentions you or anything.

Do you have a 3GS or 3G? Do you notice a longer load for ST over Tweetie? I just got the 3GS and the difference isn't much but Tweetie is quicker. ON my 3G is was night and day, BUT I only had Tweetie 1 not 2.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Seriously, is this even a competition? :)

SimplyTweet; plus, have you seen the functions in the latest release? Priceless really.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Well the reason I asked was because tweetie was the only Twitter app I had because I loved it so much. I got introduced to simply tweet through ramesh and tried it, then switched to simply Tweet. Now, tweetie 2 is out and I tried it, just trying to get input from others.
Tweet will have to do an update for me to switch. Simply tweet for me, now.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I've been torn between the two, but I would have to say Simply Tweet over Tweetie 2. ST shows the number of unread tweets; it also appears less cluttered.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I've been torn between the two, but I would have to say Simply Tweet over Tweetie 2. ST shows the number of unread tweets; it also appears less cluttered.
I agree. As I said before, the screen shots in the App store look a little too...congested for me. I like ST because I go in, see the new tweets HOW MANY, as well as @'s and DM's. Push is a bonus!

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
I agree. As I said before, the screen shots in the App store look a little too...congested for me. I like ST because I go in, see the new tweets HOW MANY, as well as @'s and DM's. Push is a bonus!
+1

I also like creating your own groups.. I haven't set too many up yet, but it looks awesome.

I love searching for pictures based on a trend word... I searched for pictures with "metallica" and saw tons of pics people posted from concerts. Really awesome.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I bought Tweetie 2 even though I said I wouldn't. If you are a Tweetie fan, it is a great upgrade to the original. However, after using SimplyTweet everything else just doesn't seem to compare. I really don't see much of significance that Tweetie 2 offers over SimplyTweet. I love the "nearby" search on Tweetie 2 though. It shows other users Tweets on a map. Kinda cool. If Tweetie 2 gave options for having the bubble like interface, push notifications, and badges showing how many tweets/mentions/dm's you have it would be a tough choice.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
another thing I do like about Tweetie 2 is that when someone posts a pic, it will give you a preview of the pic in their tweet so you don't have to click on the twitpic/yfrog link and wait for the pic to load to see what they posted.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I like that, too, even though I don't really get that many @replies or DM's, it is nice to know when someone mentions you or anything.

Do you have a 3GS or 3G? Do you notice a longer load for ST over Tweetie? I just got the 3GS and the difference isn't much but Tweetie is quicker. ON my 3G is was night and day, BUT I only had Tweetie 1 not 2.
I don't notice much of a difference in load times on my 3gs. T2 might be a little bit faster but not enough to matter really.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
another thing I do like about Tweetie 2 is that when someone posts a pic, it will give you a preview of the pic in their tweet so you don't have to click on the twitpic/yfrog link and wait for the pic to load to see what they posted.
I don't notice much of a difference in load times on my 3gs. T2 might be a little bit faster but not enough to matter really.
I agree with both these. On my 3G loading times were different, on the S, it is next to nothing.