Twinkle: iPhone Twitter App with Locate Me Features

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
How many of you all have tried Twinkle yet? If you're a Twitter user, this is a very cool new app. Locates you and shows you tweets from other twitterers near you. Also has an easy picture-add feature.

It's on Installer now via the Polar Bear Farm source.

If anyone wants to add me, I'm on there as 'justiPhoneblog' ...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
This is pretty cool, I think I'd give this one a go first before the other Twitter conduit thats available.

Out of curiosity, how much do you use twitter? I understand its what you use "in-between" blog posts, but I find even making blog posts to be quite a process in itself.

Maybe giving this app a shot will help me understand how to better make use of the resource.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This is pretty cool, I think I'd give this one a go first before the other Twitter conduit thats available.

Out of curiosity, how much do you use twitter? I understand its what you use "in-between" blog posts, but I find even making blog posts to be quite a process in itself.

Maybe giving this app a shot will help me understand how to better make use of the resource.
I find my Twitter use is increasing lately. I'd say I'm still a moderate user of it though. Twinkle has actually got me using it a little more, as I find it easy and fun to use.

On the making use of it side of things, I do like to track keywords with Twitter and see the flow of conversation about them throughout the day. Also finding Friendfeed more and more useful lately ...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'm really not familiar with that stuff, although I should be given my day job.

I'm probably going to be adding a blog to my domain now that the traffic has stabilized, I've got my own wordpress layout ready and such, just trying to find the best ways of updating it from my phone.

I finally figured out how to access the chron on my server to check for uploaded images that are emailed, I think thats as high-tech as I've gotten thus far :T

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm curious what your day job is. :)

Twitter and tracking keywords = you can just send Twitter an update using track at the beginning of it in order to start tracking, and then setup your IM (my preferred method) or phone (which I think would be crazy) - see HERE for how to - so in my case Gtalk squalks at me regularly when my selected keywords are mentioned in any Twitter conversation - can be cool way to see news on things real early.

Friendfeed = a pretty slick sort of social / aggregator tool. You plug in as many social / services sort of sites as you like (e.g StumbleUpon, Twitter, Google Reader, del.icio.us, Flickr etc.) and then every time you share something via Reader or tweet something, or make a new blog post etc., it is auto-shared on Friendfeed for you. It also alllows for 'liking' things from others and a flow of conversation on same.

I'll look forward to seeing your blog. I've been using Wordpress for a couple of years and have picked up one or two little useful things - PM me if you ever need any help or that sorta thing ...

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
I installed twinkle an dwhen i go to the app, it automatically brings me to the login screen. I have not even set one up yet, then it tells me invalid user name and password. How do I set it up?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I installed twinkle an dwhen i go to the app, it automatically brings me to the login screen. I have not even set one up yet, then it tells me invalid user name and password. How do I set it up?
You need a Twitter account to use Twinkle. That's the login credentials it is asking for. Go to Twitter.com to setup an account - it's free and quick ...

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
never heard of twitter i saw it on the installer, but there is a simular thing for facebook and its cool

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
never heard of twitter i saw it on the installer, but there is a simular thing for facebook and its cool
You should give Twitter a try - very useful.

Twinkle's feature does more with location than the Facebook app. Twinkle not only locates you, but also shows you tweets (updates) from anyone who is within X miles of you (you set your preference to 1,2,10,25,50 etc. miles) ...

davis5050

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
how do u register 4 twiter? I need a login.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Bold type for the win!

I'm going to be setting up my Twitter account this week, it was a tossup between this and iRovr and Twitter won. I like the amount of 3rd party plugins Twitter has spawned for inclusion in wordpress templates and such.

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
Twitter On MySpace/Facebook...

I really like Twitter. I have a Twitter badge on my MySpace page. You can post your comments via text messaging or Twinkle. I like to post what I'm doing, going to do, observations, stuff like that so people on my friends list can comment on or see if they want to join in on what i'm going to be doing.

I really like the "Near Me" feature on Twinkle and that you can send in pictures also.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Bold type for the win!

I'm going to be setting up my Twitter account this week, it was a tossup between this and iRovr and Twitter won. I like the amount of 3rd party plugins Twitter has spawned for inclusion in wordpress templates and such.
Think it's a good choice X - though I have to admit iRovr sounds like a lot of fun.

And it does look like there are some great WP plugins and tools for it. I am looking to try out Alex King's plugin real soon ...

rayc

Apr 17, 2008
Hi all,

this is a great app but the location feature has stopped working for me :(

it also crashes back to springboard quite often

have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

anyone else having this problem?

i'm on 1.1.4 btw

ray

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Its been working fine for me actually. Location seems a bit spotty, but thats a known issue at the moment.

rayc

Apr 17, 2008
Its been working fine for me actually. Location seems a bit spotty, but thats a known issue at the moment.

wow,quick reply x999x!

gonna try an install with the 1.1.3/1.1.4 compatibility patch to see if it makes a difference.
i think there's an update coming soon if the above doesn't solve it.

great repo btw:) some nice little tweaks.

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
Twinkle

wow,quick reply x999x!

gonna try an install with the 1.1.3/1.1.4 compatibility patch to see if it makes a difference.
i think there's an update coming soon if the above doesn't solve it.

great repo btw:) some nice little tweaks.
Yeah, I have 1.1.4 and it works great. "Near Me" has my town spot on every time I go a mile down the road to a new town. Really like this app and seeing what people near me are doing. Don't forget to put Twitter badges on your MySpace accounts, Facebook accounts, and blogs if you have 'em.

Spread the word about Twitter!

reebs

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
i signed up for twitter and installed twinkle on my phone. However I get tweets through SMS and not through twinkle app. What am I doing wrong?