Twitter and Instant Messaging

UpTheIrons

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
Before I get my change carriers, I want to set up the least expensive iPhone plan. If I want to use the Twitter and an instant messaging app, will texting and receiving messages with those services count against my data message use. I have posted this in a different forum elsewhere and got mixed answers. Since this forum is all iPhone related, I'll ask it here.

I checked the FAQ for text messenging here, http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/messaging-internet/messaging/faq.jsp, and couldn't find the answer. TIA.

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
If I understand your question correctly, using those apps will only count against data. The data plan for iPhone is unlimited, so data should not be an issue. As with some phones, Instant Messaging does not count against texts, as long as you use the app for it. But remember, text plans are in addition to the data plan.

UpTheIrons

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the answer. Without a text messaging plan and at .20 apiece without one, I don't want a bad surprise on my first bill. :eek:k:eek:k

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
OK, let's get something straight. If you're using the AIM application or another other messaging application on the iPhone, then you're using data NOT text messages. On other phones; however, if you use the AIM application it would count as text messages. For example, on the Palm phones, if you use the AIM application, it counts as text messages. The iPhone is different though.

Make sure you get a texting plan in addition to your data if you're going to text though...