Twitter....how does this work?

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
Ok........I'm just really not getting it. What is Twitter and how do you work it?

I am signed up, and I am following foxnews and everythingicafe. now what? on my iPhone i have a screen that says "friends". it has my foxnews messages. how do i change to EIC and view messages? I am using the TwitterFon app. Lessons greatly appreciated!

I am so illiterate at this, but I am learning. I can't put my iPhone down.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Ok........I'm just really not getting it. What is Twitter and how do you work it?

I am signed up, and I am following foxnews and everythingicafe. now what? on my iPhone i have a screen that says "friends". it has my foxnews messages. how do i change to EIC and view messages? I am using the TwitterFon app. Lessons greatly appreciated!

I am so illiterate at this, but I am learning. I can't put my iPhone down.
Google "twitter basics" and you will find sources to help you. I have been using twitter for just a couple months and really like it. There are a lot of EIC'ers on twitter.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
There are quite a few of us from EIC on Twitter. I'm there too (link in my sig). It's kind of addicting, especially when you realize the variety of people that are on it.

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
dturner......i can't get your follow me to work. it just takes me to the twitter login.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
dturner......i can't get your follow me to work. it just takes me to the twitter login.
Yeah, you have to login first before you can do anything. If it continues to not work, send me your user name via any way you prefer and I will follow you. Then you can just follow me back.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I'm on Twitter as well. Same name as here. I have Loopt linked to Twitter as well.

Bannod

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
At the beach, WA
I have Twitterfon on my iPhone. Does each twit (tweet?) that shows up there count as a text message? I found this on the Twitter page and it scared me:

It's all done through text messages (aka "SMS"), which you probably use all the time anyway, so there's not much to learn.
Twitter doesn't charge anything for this, but be sure to know what your text plan looks like with your wireless carrier.

My plan includes 200 text messages.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I have Twitterfon on my iPhone. Does each twit (tweet?) that shows up there count as a text message? I found this on the Twitter page and it scared me:

It's all done through text messages (aka "SMS"), which you probably use all the time anyway, so there's not much to learn.
Twitter doesn't charge anything for this, but be sure to know what your text plan looks like with your wireless carrier.

If you use the SMS app to send the tweets, then yes, they count as text messages but if you use a Twitter-specific app like Tweetie or Twitterfon, then they don't. You may want to make sure that your Twitter settings don't alert you with a TXT every time you get a tweet because that will definitely eat into your allotment. There is a setting in Twitter that lets you say whether you want Device Notifications on or off.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.

That warning is if you setup twitter (under settings) to text you when certain people tweet. Otherwise, disregard that. Twiterfon is just a way to access twitter, it doesn't charge you anything.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

No - tweets should never count as text messages. That text excerpt I think is referring to Twitter alerts via SMS - which obviously would burn through your text messages. You do not have to turn that setting on - just leave it off, do not enter your phone number in that section, and you should be fine ...

Aug 27, 2007
I just got Twitter and I really don't know what its all about. If anyone wants to follow me my username is HurryDowns.