Two Important Questions

Banjo456

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
The data plan I added for 20 dollars does that cover UNLIMITTIED interent use from Safari or whatever not from a wireless connection secondly the 20 dollars added on said 200 sms messeges does that mean 200 added on to my other plan or 200 total

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
The $20 unlimited data is for Edge internet and data traffic when away from a Wifi source. Anytime your out wandering around and want to use the Internet, that is covered under that plan. I am not sure on the text messaging though, sorry.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The unlimited data plan is for the iPhone and covers edge or wifi connection. Not sure about the sms. When you activated through iTunes, your other plan was probably dropped which would give you 200 total.

Banjo456

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
The unlimited data plan is for the iPhone and covers edge or wifi connection. Not sure about the sms. When you activated through iTunes, your other plan was probably dropped which would give you 200 total.
But I thought that the data plan was like added on to my other plan

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Just FYI, Wifi is not involved with the unlimited data plan. You can use wifi all you want without having any data plan because it is going over your local house network (or coffee shop) and not over the service provided by AT&T. AT&T wouldn't have anything to do with that connection.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If you have an existing iPhone plan and just add the unlimited data (I thought it was automatically included anyway) then it would not change your existing plan and would only add the data usage to whatever you initially set up. If you have an existing plan with a non-iphone cell phone then activating the iPhone overwrites your existing phone and you start a new contract for the coverage (unless adding as a second phone to an existing plan).

Banjo456

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
If you have an existing iPhone plan and just add the unlimited data (I thought it was automatically included anyway) then it would not change your existing plan and would only add the data usage to whatever you initially set up. If you have an existing plan with a non-iphone cell phone then activating the iPhone overwrites your existing phone and you start a new contract for the coverage (unless adding as a second phone to an existing plan).
So I get only 200 texts a month that sucks

and so does my mom still have to pay for my part of the plan or what if I dropped it

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Without knowing the specifics of the plan your on we can't answer that. If your Mom has an existing AT&T phone and your iPhone is added as a second phone then the contract for the iPhone and the conditions of that contract are separate from her phone.

Banjo456

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
Without knowing the specifics of the plan your on we can't answer that. If your Mom has an existing AT&T phone and your iPhone is added as a second phone then the contract for the iPhone and the conditions of that contract are separate from her phone.

Well I already had a phone on the plan with hers an then I just replaced it with the iPhone

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am 99% sure that when you activated your iPhone it ended your portion of your prior contract and started your new 2 year one on the iPhone. I added more text messages to my phone after my contract already started so if you find 200 to be not enough you might be able to do that. As far as dropping the iPhone, I think you will need to call AT&T and talk to them about reverting to your old phone and having your old contract reinstated. It is unlikely that they will do that but you may get lucky. I can't imagine being without my iPhone so never looked into that as an option. This phone is great, the best I have ever owned and I have had cell phones since back in the days when they were like 50 pounds and looked like a 15" long banana with another 8" of antenna sticking out the end. God, am I that old? Geez... I will shut up now. Where is my geritol?

Banjo456

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah I mean I would add more SMS or whatever but it seemed like it was already 20 extra dollars to the plan that we had and I didn't want to make it any more than 20 extra to the plan that we already had but if....they dropped the other plan I guess I could add more but I don't know how much money got dropped when they dropped the plan I had or anything really im so confused also would they put that 20 dollars on the credit card that I put in for iTunes or on the plan bill every month im so confused but was not considering trading the iPhone in IDK where u got that from but thanks for all your help so far

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If your original plan had an extra $20 for shared SMS then it is likely to stay. If the $20 extra was on your portion of the plan then it was deleted.
The $20 for the data plan will be put on your bill and not the credit card.
If I were you, I would go to ATT and see exactly what your plan is. This will clear up any confusion you have.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
I couldnt survive on just 200 texts lol. I go about 10,000 a month since I got my iPhone

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't know enough people that can spell to be able to rack up 10,000 a month. Dang. I use about 500 but most of them are breaking news and automatic updates on equipment failures at work. Probably 100 of them are chatting with friends.