Two iPhones?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 29, 2007
Hey guys... I'm thinking about buying an extra iPhone (this one will be from ColorWare).. I was wondering, if/when I buy it and receive it.. When I activate it with my current info, will it make my current iPhone useless or will I be able to still use both? The reason I'm asking is because a colorware phone isn't under warranty by Apple... soo.... yeah... :p

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Since the iPhones sim card is internal, if you activate a new iPhone under the same number, my guess is that it will DE-activate your current iPhone. Not 100% on that though.
I believe this is correct. When i switched from a 4GB model to 8GB model my 4GB instantly showed that it did not have service. But the phone wasn't locked like it was out of the box, in other words you could still use the ipod feature and i'm pretty sure the wi-fi worked.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Correct. It will kill the old SIM. and what it will do to your contract is NOT add ANOTHER 2 years to your contract, but start the clock over.. example, if you bought your iPhone 30 days ago you had to agree to another 2 years on contract, now if you went and bought another iPhone on the same number today that 2 years would start today instead of 30 days ago.
Well.. thats what the AT&T Store reps told me, and seemed to make sense instead of having some guy out there that keeps loosing iPhones with 12 years worth of contracts... lol...

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Wait, the iPhone's SIM is has to be specially activated (or the device itself?), but is just as removable as any other SIM in any other phone. My guess is that, unless you want two phone numbers with two data accounts, you could just switch the SIM between the two iPhones. Just for the record, the SIM from your iPhone will work in any cell phone - what is still under debate is whether or not ATT can determine what device it's in and whether they can/will charge additional fees for data and text from non iPhones...

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Correct. It will kill the old SIM. and what it will do to your contract is NOT add ANOTHER 2 years to your contract, but start the clock over.. example, if you bought your iPhone 30 days ago you had to agree to another 2 years on contract, now if you went and bought another iPhone on the same number today that 2 years would start today instead of 30 days ago.
Well.. thats what the AT&T Store reps told me, and seemed to make sense instead of having some guy out there that keeps loosing iPhones with 12 years worth of contracts... lol...
That's the same story I got. Since the iPhone is not subsidized, you can buy a new one anytime you want - BUT - if you activate a new SIM card, you have to extend your contract.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Hey guys... I'm thinking about buying an extra iPhone (this one will be from ColorWare).. I was wondering, if/when I buy it and receive it.. When I activate it with my current info, will it make my current iPhone useless or will I be able to still use both? The reason I'm asking is because a colorware phone isn't under warranty by Apple... soo.... yeah... :p
As the others have said, your first will become deactivated if you try to assign the same number to the new one.

However, when activating an iPhone you do have the option of setting up a new account for it. That will work, leaving you with two phones and two phone numbers (and two bills!).

-K

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It's a little unclear by your OP whether the "extra" iPhone will be for an additional line (but it seemed that it's going to literally be an "extra"). If this is the case, I'd seriously try swapping the SIM card before you ever activate it. I THINK if you do that and then sync the iPhone, it may prompt you to explain the new device, but should sync all your info to the new phone. It'd be just like replacing your iPhone if you had to send it in for repair or replacement.

Now, whether or not you can swap SIM cards back and forth AFTER you sync the NEW iPhone - that sounds like uncharted territory. You'll have to let us all know how that turns out!

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Just do what I would do.. If your going to swap the SIM card, Have the AT&T people do it for you, that way if they jack it up during the process its on them and not you.. hehe

Swapping the SIM would transfer the number to the phone, but you will still need to unlock/activate the phone through iTunes ( or at least I would think )..

Jun 29, 2007
It's a little unclear by your OP whether the "extra" iPhone will be for an additional line (but it seemed that it's going to literally be an "extra"). If this is the case, I'd seriously try swapping the SIM card before you ever activate it. I THINK if you do that and then sync the iPhone, it may prompt you to explain the new device, but should sync all your info to the new phone. It'd be just like replacing your iPhone if you had to send it in for repair or replacement.

Now, whether or not you can swap SIM cards back and forth AFTER you sync the NEW iPhone - that sounds like uncharted territory. You'll have to let us all know how that turns out!

Will do! And yeah, its just literally going to be an extra... so if by any chance it happens to break, I still have my original iPhone that's warranted by Apple. I just hope I don't lose all my info while switching SIMs.

Aug 18, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
the colorware iPhone DOES come with a warranty! it is through colorware, it is the same warranty that Apple gives us all. it is the 12 month warranty. free of charge. look at some of my posts. ive got a colorware iPhone. and you'll be envied because it seems like everyone just hates on my iPhone because i spent the extra 150 to just get it custom painted. i like being different