Two message conversations with same contact

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jdsmitty10, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Ever since upgrading to IOS 8 on my iPhone 5 I have randomly had occurrences where I have two separate conversations with the same contact name. It happened on my 5 and now has happened on my 6 as well. I checked my wife's phone yesterday and it showed one from my email and one from my number. Is it for some reason sending from both? What's up with that? I know you can select which you send your iMessages from and mine says my number.

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have her delete the conversation from your email on her phone. Make sure she uses the conversation that is to your phone number from now on.

3. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

This kept happening to me. Go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive. You should have your number be grayed out but a check mark should be by it. If it is not I had to disengage iMessage and reload my apple ID in it. this seemed to clear it up.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

My Wife and I have both had this problem. The fix we used is this.
    1. Toggle off iMessage and FaceTime.
    2. Reset Network Settings and enter your WiFi passcode back in.
    3. Toggle iMessage and FaceTime back on.
    4. Delete all affected messages threads on both ends.
    This has worked for us so far.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

5. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Think I just figured out what causes it. If I select a pic to text message it sends to a diff conversation than if I just text words. Is there any reason to have my email selected as a back up for iMessages?

Sent using iCafe app

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try this: Remove your email address from iMessages. Then send a picture via iMessages as a test. It should go through your phone number. Now add your email back in (if you need it there), select another picture from the photos app and send it via iMessages. It should go through you phone number again now. If it doesn't and you need your email in iMessages, just select pictures when you are already in the messaging app in that person's thread from your phone number rather than selecting pictures through your Photos app and then selecting sharing.

7. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Do I need my email there? What's the point of it being selected for iMessages? To receive through iPads and stuff?

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You only need it there if you want to be able to receive messages on your iPad. In which, you would want to have all of your contacts only text your email. The messages would then go to your phone and your iPad. If they text your phone number, it will only go to your phone. Another reason would be if you want someone to be able to text you, but you don't want them to have your phone number. You could give them your email instead. I don't have my email listed in the messaging app. I just have everyone text my phone number.

9. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Ok so no iPads no need to email selected. Always thought it was for a "backup" way to text or be texted. Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, you definitely don't your email there in that case. It uses SMS as a backup, not an email address.