Two speakers on the bottom or one?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
Are those two separate speakers on the bottom? because when my iPhone plays sound it only comes out of one? whats the other speaker for?

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
this is just sad....

there are millions of posts already on this issue..

there are iPhone manuals all over on every model

the 1 speaker/1 mic has not changed since day one 3 years ago

i have a feeling this will forever be a problem until Apple makes both sides into speakers or ships a picture diagram with the phone that points to everything and labels them.

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
hah just making sure.

This is my second iPhone by the way but i forgot how the bottom had the same thing. After switching from the original iPhone no other phone i owned had anything like that.

but it was a dumb question and thanks to the people who answered.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
hah just making sure.

This is my second iPhone by the way but i forgot how the bottom had the same thing. After switching from the original iPhone no other phone i owned had anything like that.

but it was a dumb question and thanks to the people who answered.
No such thing as a dumb question, IMO it's dumb not to ask and guess or assume. It's unfortunate that this view is shared by few.

Omen311

Bronze
Jul 21, 2010
TEXAS
I'm a first iPhone user and just got the 4 and had that same question yesterday when I noticed sound coming from one only. So I video conferenced my friend and confirmed same answer. Also do unclosed apps drain battery?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Omen311

Bronze
Jul 21, 2010
TEXAS
Only apps that are still running like Pandora, etc...

The rest are just "frozen" in the background thereforee not affecting the battery. I think someone said it does affect memory, though.
Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Considering the scant documentation that comes with the iPhone (that no one reads anyway because it's too much fun to just dive in and use it), I'm not surprised this question comes up as often as it does.

BlueKhufu

Jun 17, 2010
The only time I stepped into an Apple Store was to swap out my refurb (rox0rz!) 3g that had a bad headphone jack. While I was waiting for my appointment, a guy near me was meeting with his genius... his problem was sound was coming out of only one speaker. The genius said she would fix it or replace it and took it from him. I merely suggested "I think one is the mic and one is the speaker," to which she replied (as if I fell out of the short bus) "one is for the left sound and one is for the right." I said nothing more (after all, she was - according to her shirt - a genius) and perused the rest of the store awaiting my turn.
When my turn came, the same genius assisted me. I told her my headphone jack was bad, and (jokingly) only one speaker worked. She was kind enough to inform me, in the same "you poor child, 'tis not your fault" tone that one was a speaker and one was a mic. :) I walked away with a new phone for the headphone jack, and a reminder that titles are like spandex.. (and unfinished similies)..

this is just sad....

there are millions of posts already on this issue..

there are iPhone manuals all over on every model

the 1 speaker/1 mic has not changed since day one 3 years ago

i have a feeling this will forever be a problem until Apple makes both sides into speakers or ships a picture diagram with the phone that points to everything and labels them.

Mar 2, 2009
California
To the OP, I remember first getting my 3G and wondering why sound only came from one speaker and not the other. I then figured out the other was the mic.

It's a fairly common question, so don't feel embarrassed. We were all n00bs here at one point or another.

Fuchsy25

Aug 2, 2014
come on. you're joking right.
Yes you're good bro. I just bought my first one too, it's an iPhone 4 and I'm still learning a bit too. I never liked iPhones until now and that's partly due to people like iblastoff (which a sound like you're a heroine addict because that's what blasting off is). I have an iPhone. I know everything. I'm better than everyone. I never wanted to be one of those people lol. This is a discussion forum where all questions are welcomed with open arms and answered in as much detail as possible, no matter how simple or "amateur" the question may be. Quite honestly I was wondering the same thing myself until I came across this forum so thank you kindly to everyone who answered without judgment.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
@Fuchsy25 It's a perfectly valid question. Every one is new to the iPhone at some point, so it's not surprising to think it would have two speakers. We do try to have a forum that is accommodating to both new and experienced users.