Two things I noticed and am worried about

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
OK. So I just unboxed my new iPhone and am restoring it. Posting on my v1.

First, I noticed three barely visible circles near the ear speaker to the left. Two are vertical just to the left of the ear part and one more is further to the left if that. You
can see them by holding the phone at an angle.

Is this normal? Maybe something on the 3G I missed? I can't take a picture because they are so tough to take a picture of. If they are normal, what purpose do they serve?

Next, i had to use a bit of force to get the cord in the bottom of the phone. On my v1, it slides in quite easily. Is this normal? Something they changed on the 3G?

These two things are very weird to me. Please help!

john_T

Silver
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
The circles are the three sensors for the iPhone. Completely normal.

I had to use some force to plug in the USB at first, but now it is less of a hassle.

Enjoy it!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
The holes that are barely visible are sensors. One of them is a proximity sensor so when you hold the phone to your ear, it shuts the screen off so you don't accidentally press a button with your ear/face. The other hole is an ambient light sensor. Depending on the lighting where you're at, it will adjust the brightness of the screen if enabled.

The plug will be a little bit more snug than your old one since it hasn't been worn in yet. The more you insert & remove your plug the easier it will get.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Would click the thank you button but I'm on the iPhone version of the site. I'm gonna miss my v1...........................................no I'm not!

iCoug

Jun 12, 2009
Pullman, WA
I'm gonna miss my v1...........................................no I'm not!

I feel the same way. My V1 was my first cellphone ever and I had it for almost two years and I thought I would miss it but once I got my new 3Gs and saw that amazing speed, I realized it was well worth giving up my V1 for the 3Gs.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Here are three more things:

1) The Voice app (the one where you can speak into the phone, not the recorder) is not there. The Compass is.

2) Phone is not activated...hasn't been for an hour now.

3) Phone is on Pacific time, I'm in the East. Also, the minutes are not the same. Meaning, my v1 shows 1:27 a.m. while my 3GS shows 10:26 p.m.

Jeli

Jun 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
I feel the same way. My V1 was my first cellphone ever and I had it for almost two years and I thought I would miss it but once I got my new 3Gs and saw that amazing speed, I realized it was well worth giving up my V1 for the 3Gs.
Hah I tripped out when I saw the WSU logo. I'm from Pullman too, that's awesome. Stuck in Pa for the moment though. Anyways converted my wife and I from BB Storm to the 3GS and were loving it.

Jeli

Jun 14, 2009
Pennsylvania

1) The Voice app (the one where you can speak into the phone, not the recorder) is not there. The Compass is.

3) Phone is on Pacific time, I'm in the East. Also, the minutes are not the same. Meaning, my v1 shows 1:27 a.m. while my 3GS shows 10:26 p.m.
You try holding the hone button down to activate the voice app?

Until the phone is activated (they said up to 4 hours) your date, time and timezone likely won't update. Sorry your having so much trouble.

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008

1) The "Voice App" is triggered by holding down the home button for about three seconds. You'll hear a tone, and then you'll see the voice app with the commands scrolling across the screen...

2) Have you tried powering the phone off then back on again? Mine didn't activate until I did this...

3) Go into Settings>Mail/Contacts/Calenders>Time Zone Support and pick an appropriate region for where you live. I'm not sure if this will help, or if you'll have to wait for activation, but it couldn't hurt...

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
You try holding the hone button down to activate the voice app?
I did not until now. Yes, that worked. But I do not have the app on the phone.

What is taking so long to activate?

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
1,000,000 iPhones trying to get activated is slowing it down I'm sure.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I suppose. What do I do about not having the Voice Control app?

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
I suppose. What do I do about not having the Voice Control app?
If you hold down your home button until you hear the tone, and the voice control app pops up, then you have the app. There is no icon... Also, have you tried power resetting your phone like I suggested? Mine activated right after I reset it...

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
OK, someone can *****-slap me, I thought there was an icon. It works by holding the home button. Damn I'm stupid...or its 2 a.m....either way....