Typing not so great on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chris, Apr 4, 2010.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I spent a few hours on the iPad last night, while on the couch. I found it tough to find a comfortable position with the iPad postioned on my knees. Whenever I need the keyboard, it pops up at the bottom of the screen. I found it to be both difficult and a bit painful. Hunt and peck works ok.

What are your experiences typing on the iPad I definitely do not see this replacing my MacBook Air.

2. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I don't have an iPad 'yet' but I'm guessing typoing would be a mjor issue for me. Maybe not. Could be it's just another one of those "you have to get used to something different" things. Keep pounding away Chris.

3. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

Chris do you have it in the Apple case? I'm hoping having it tilted is gonna be pretty nice.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Not yet, but I might pick it up tomorrow. I am not so sure it's going to solve my issue. I think the workaround is to use index fingers only. Think of how you type on a laptop and then look at the alternatives on the iPad. On the laptop, your wrists are flat when typing.

Completely new device, so I am giving myself sufficient time to try different methods of text entry.

5. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Definitely have to have it tilted. I do find myself looking at the keys now but it definitely isn't hunt and peck. I don't see myself typing long documents oit though, at least until the keyboard dock comes along.

6. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

Ihave been typing the fastest in portrait using thumbs works the fastest. Or hunt and peck with the index finger

7. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

Holding to type is definitely awkward. I plan to get one of those laptop rolling stands to avoid holding it. I also purchased the wireless kb for extended typing sessions. At work I opened my desk drawer and tilted it against the desk using the drawer as a sort of ledge. Typing wasn't bad using that method.

8. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

So far using both index fingers has worked the best. Still experimenting though.

9. InfinitR

InfinitR New Member

Hmmm, I've actually been pleasantly surprised that the typing is better than expected. I'm not typing large documents but still feel that the keyboard is quite responsive.

10. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

I am finding it hard to get used to as well. Luckily I have massive hands. I hold it in landscape and let the ends kind of rest on my bent fingers and type with my thumbs. Not great by any means but the more I use it the easier it is getting. Typing is the only con ive found on this device otherwise it is to my surprise one of my favorite gadget purchases ever. :eek:k:eek:k

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's responsive and works well. I just have trouble adjusting to where my wrists are comfortable. Let me rephrase that. If typing as I would on a laptop or desktop, my wrists aren't comfortable. Index and even thumbs work great.

12. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

In portrait mode, I use my thumbs like I do on my iPhone. In landscape, I set it on a couch pillow and I can type more like a laptop. It's going to take some getting used to, but it will get better. It's getting better all the time. I will be picking up the Apple case to put the ipad on an angle. I've found that to work best for landscape. A lot of backspace use, though!

13. connie

connie Evangelist
    Gold

I actually composed a couple of emails today, some on a table top and some on my lap, I am surprised at how fast and accurate I am typing on it now. Once you get use to it you will pick up speed. (landscape mode, haven't typed much in portrait)

14. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

I had a feeling this might be the case with the iPad. Sitting with it on your knees certainly seems to be how Apple was expecting it to be used, but it seems as if it would be awkward and cumbersome after a while.

15. seanwes

seanwes Zealot
    Gold

+1. Not an owner here, but played with one yesterday at the Apple store. I had the device laying flat on it's back and tried typing with both hands, all fingers, just like on a computer keyboard. The result? Surprisingly good, but with a few typos.

I would expect the learning/adjusting time to be like the first time you get an iPhone: 1 week.

16. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

Thumb typing (which I am pretty good at) is out of the question. If you don't have a table, one-hand typing is best. If you have a table, normal keyboard typing is actually not bad. The best is when the iPad is a little propped up like the acryllic/rubber piece they have a the Apple Store. I think one of my friends is actually having a local plastics company make one for him. I'm sure there will be an accessory that will do that same thing.

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Dragon Dictation?

18. imamac

imamac Member
    Bronze

I've typed about a dozen emails and messed around in Pages for a while and am trying to type at full speed (except halting to insert symbols and punctuation) and am getting there. I do have it in the Apple case with the flap in stand position on my lap so it's at an angle.

It is not very comfortable though but am sure I'll figure out a good solution at some point. I have an angled foam-backed lap desk I may try, too. It may work better that way.

19. kevlar08

kevlar08 Zealot
    Gold

I love typing on the iPad, I never actually learned to type properly so my four finger hunt and peck method works beautifult on it

20. imamac

imamac Member
    Bronze

I posted a quick video on youtube. Nothing revolutionary, just shows me typing on the iPad.

Disclaimer: I did actually call my mother to say Happy Easter. This was for demoing only. :)