Typing not so great on iPad

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
In landscape mode I'm already nearly as fast as I am with portrait on my iPhone. Which is decently fast. In portrait I've got to thumb it, and I am not very fast at that yet. It's a bit of a stretch to reach the middle keys. I've tried two fingering with one hand while in portrait but that's also pretty slow. My hands are just a bit too big for the same kind of touch typing as I can do in landscape. Kind of touch typing anyway. I use four fingers from my left hand and my index and middle on my right, touching the space bar with my right index finger. I do have the Apple case and it helps typing speed and accuracy a lot by keeping it at an angle and keeping it steady.

Still trying to get used to the different behavior of autocorrect. It doesn't catch all the same errors as iPhone does, despite me still making them. And it gets some autocorrects wrong, like ive -> vie instead of I've. So, a bit of a learning curve for those used to the autocorrect system on iPhone.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
If I'm sitting, crossing my legs and propping the iPad up towards my knee I am typing pretty good. Try crossing your leg over when typing on your lap for more of an angle.

sracer

Bronze
Mar 26, 2010
My only gripe with the onscreen keyboard is that there are no arrow/cursor keys. Otherwise, typing on the iPad in landscape mode is easier and quicker than typing on my previous 10" Asus EeePC keyboards.

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
Anyone else feel like a tab key would be nice? I'm finding when navigating websites, especially when entering information into fields, that placing the cursor in each box is a pain. Then again I've always done that on my iPhone and never thought twice about it.

sracer

Bronze
Mar 26, 2010
Anyone else feel like a tab key would be nice? I'm finding when navigating websites, especially when entering information into fields, that placing the cursor in each box is a pain. Then again I've always done that on my iPhone and never thought twice about it.
The onscreen keyboard has a small [Previous] and [Next] button in the upper left corner of the keyboard... pressing that highlights the next "input" object (pulldown menu, entry field, checkbox, etc.) That helps a bit.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My only gripe with the onscreen keyboard is that there are no arrow/cursor keys. Otherwise, typing on the iPad in landscape mode is easier and quicker than typing on my previous 10" Asus EeePC keyboards.

Had the same issue here when entering a username into one of my other forums. I spelled my name incorrectly and would have loved to have had a left arrow.

Yeah, me too Maelynn. I even looked all over the keyboard thinking they may have hid it! The next block of text was done with Dragon.

Using Dragon dictation is a lot easier than entering items with the keyboard. This entire message was created using Dragon dictation and no editing has been done whatsoever.

I'm waiting for an application that can read my mind.

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
The onscreen keyboard has a small [Previous] and [Next] button in the upper left corner of the keyboard... pressing that highlights the next "input" object (pulldown menu, entry field, checkbox, etc.) That helps a bit.
Thanks. Oh, and the autofill button, too! Didn't even notice them. :)

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
Using Dragon dictation is a lot easier than entering items with the keyboard. This entire message was created using Dragon dictation and no editing has been done whatsoever.

I'm waiting for an application that can read my mind.
I just tried Dragon Dictation. Is it pretty fluid going back and forth from app to app?

An app that would read minds would be awfuly dangerous. :)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Had the same issue here when entering a username into one of my other forums. I spelled my name incorrectly and would have loved to have had a left arrow.
Any way to activate/use the spell checker correction on the iPad...like here on the forums?

danamark

Bronze
Mar 3, 2010
bluetooth keyboard

Anyone try a bluetooth keyboard, does/will it work? Sitting here waiting for late April shipping of a 3G :(
Just wondering, another topic, saw the break down of the iPad. Do you think Apple set back the shipping of the 3G because of the unknown number of the Wifi models needed? i.e. nothing to do with the FCC, now. Note the April 12 on new orders of the Wifi. So, after you fill these, you just start adding/plugging in the 3G module and shipping?

Clearly, the wait is causes some mental issues. :)

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
This is great for web pages. I hadn't even noticed it before. Thanks!

I'm typing at near normal speed now. Brought it to class with me today and took notes for 45 minutes with no problem.

I do agree it desperately needs a Tab key (especially when using Pages where you can only do it in portrait and have to tap a key twice per tab). I would love the ' and " to be on the main keyboard as well. I do miss the Apple/control key for formatting in Pages because again, while typing in landscape you no longer have access to the upper buttons for bold, center, etc.