Typing not so great on iPad

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
This is great for web pages. I hadn't even noticed it before. Thanks!

I'm typing at near normal speed now. Brought it to class with me today and took notes for 45 minutes with no problem.

I do agree it desperately needs a Tab key (especially when using Pages where you can only do it in portrait and have to tap a key twice per tab). I would love the ' and " to be on the main keyboard as well. I do miss the Apple/control key for formatting in Pages because again, while typing in landscape you no longer have access to the upper buttons for bold, center, etc.
my major issue with taking notes was also the fact that you loose all control over any options when you switch to landscape, i do enjoy note taking in portrait mode as well tho.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I asked this question eariler in a round about way before but let me ask it more detailed.

When posting on a forum like this sometimes you make a typo. In that case the word is underlined and can be corrected by right clicking on the word or control clicking the word and then the spell checker will suggested a word(s) to select (the correct spelling). Is there any way to use this feature on the iPad? I know the words are underlined but just not sure if you can get to the spell checker feature on the iPad? since I only played with one briefly ion the Apple Store I don't't have access to play around. Anybody figure this out?

Attachments

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I asked this question eariler in a round about way before but let me ask it more detailed.

When posting on a forum like this sometimes you make a typo. In that case the word is underlined and can be corrected by right clicking on the word or control clicking the word and then the spell checker will suggested a word(s) to select (the correct spelling). Is there any way to use this feature on the iPad? I know the words are underlined but just not sure if you can get to the spell checker feature on the iPad? since I only played with one briefly ion the Apple Store I don't't have access to play around. Anybody figure this out?
Yes you tap on the underlined word and it gives you suggestions, works really well

joshwithachance

Bronze
Dec 2, 2009
I typed better on the iPad yesterday at Best Buy better than I ever imagined I would. I think the horizontal keyboard is fantastic!

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I think it completely depends on how you are interfacing with the iPad. If you are on your couch watching tv, don't be expecting to write a thesis paper. But if you have the iPad case and prop it up on a 25-30 degree angle, you can definitely japed type. Maybe even faster than when using a regular keyboard. I typed this message in 45 seconds to prove it in this manner

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
ut if you have the iPad case and prop it up on a 25-30 degree angle, you can definitely japed type. Maybe even faster than when using a regular keyboard.
You can definitely type faster if the iPad is on a 30 degree angle, but I wouldn't say it'll ever come close to a physical keyboard. I type fairly well on the iPad when it's propped up in it's case.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I found that you have to just trust that the iPad will recognize and fix any mistakes you might make. A few get by (like japed in my last message) but for the most part the iPad is good at recognizing the keys you it. I will take a video of how you can just type quick with no regard to whether you hit all the keys. You gotta let it flow!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
How long before we see wrist-rest add-ons for the iPad? Or cases with big, padded bezels?

bizzzar

Dec 11, 2013
I use touch typing on the physical keyboard, but on the iPad it seems a bit difficult because it seems to be smaller and default hands placement should be different.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I use touch typing on the physical keyboard, but on the iPad it seems a bit difficult because it seems to be smaller and default hands placement should be different.
Tried the split keyboard?

bizzzar

Dec 11, 2013
Tried the split keyboard?
I prefer to use 10 fingers while typing and my thumbs got tired this way. When I type on physical keyboard, fingers on my right hand are by default on "jkl;", but on the iPad my little finger has to be placed on the return key and I unconsciously move it to "hjkl".

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I prefer to use 10 fingers while typing and my thumbs got tired this way. When I type on physical keyboard, fingers on my right hand are by default on "jkl;", but on the iPad my little finger has to be placed on the return key and I unconsciously move it to "hjkl".
Bluetooth keyboard may be the thing for you then.