Typing On iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Daking618, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Daking618

Daking618 Member
    Bronze

Hey you all do I just got a iPad 2 two days ago. I'm not good at typing on it at all. Not good on the computer either. But I wanna get really good so any tips or apps that I can download to help IMPROVE my typing skills.

2. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Being good at typing on the computer would be a good start. Type without looking at the keyboard, get a feel for where all the keys are. I don't even have to look at the keyboard at all. When you can get that skilled, typing on the iPad is a breeze.

3. Daking618

Daking618 Member
    Bronze

Okay well I don't even have a computer to practice on lol so is there a app that lets me practice. I mean I'm not that bad at typing but not that good either.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

So a search in the app store. There are a number of typing tutors in there. Think I saw a few freebies too.

5. Phil DeLong

Phil DeLong Member
    Bronze

You could also see if any local colleges offer a typing class. A little more expensive than an app but if you want to be really good as you say, a class would definitely improve your typing abilities.

6. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

The suggestions given here are a good start. In addition, I'll add the obvious - that just practicing on the iPad 2 will help a lot. try out using the keyboard in standard and Split mode - you might find (as I do) that using it split, especially in landscape mode, feels a bit speedier and more comfortable.

7. JubJubJub

JubJubJub New Member

I am an amazing typer on the computer with consistent 80-100 wpm speed. Helps to instinctively know where the keys are. Still don't like to type out more that a few paragraphs on the iPad or iPhone before something feels wrong in my hands. I have the Apple external keyboard that I use with the iPad. It is difficult to maintain any proper form on touchscreen devices and I predict that their will be a surge in the number of people suffering with carpal tunnel in the years to come.

8. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Have you tried splitting the screen so you can just use your thumbs? I felt a little awkward when I started using my iPad, but now I can probably type faster on it than my laptop.

9. Daking618

Daking618 Member
    Bronze

yes I have tried the split screen. I just would like to learn how type as if it were a keyboard

10. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

The main thing for me was optimal positioning and angle of the iPad that helped me to type faster.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

11. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Typing crazy fast on a regular full-sized keyboard, typing on the iPad is a breeze to me (and often fun).

My advice is to take a few paragraphs from a book and just start typing it. Constant practice is a quick way to type efficiently in the future. Also, learn to remember what characters are on which number/character screen, etc.

12. Daking618

Daking618 Member
    Bronze

Okay thanks I will try that

13. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

One thing I recommend is don't buy any apps in the app store. They're a waste because they teach like you would a normal keyboard and that's not how to type properly on the iPad. You want the same hand positions as a normal keyboard, but on the iPad you don't care about accuracy (which the apps care about). You type a lot faster using auto-correct.

Being a touch screen there is no physical notification that you've hit the keys, so you just type away assuming you're hitting the proper keys and manually fix things up that auto-correct missed.

Using the apps I never would of learnt how to type on the iPad.

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

^^^ YOU may not care about accuracy, but is more time consuming to go back to words that auto correct totally screws up and correct them.

15. Daking618

Daking618 Member
    Bronze

Okay that really did help because I was thinking about buying a typing app. But since you said something I'm not

16. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

It's not more time consuming because you rarely have anything to correct. After typing a paragraph you would maybe have one or two words to correct and that's it. Apple put the auto-correct in there for a reason.

Remember, this is a suggestion thread. Of course I'm going to suggest what method worked best for me. It's up to the author of the thread to take in everyone's advice trying them out and picking what works best for him.