Typing on iPhone 5 keyboard not so great?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by chris, Mar 22, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

A couple weeks back, Marianne and I were discussing the keyboard on the iPhone 5. Now typically during the podcast, I like to complain a lot about stuff that Marianne does not experience. Some would refer to this as a pilot error. To my surprise, her typing accuracy is not as good with the iPhone 5.

So is typing on the iPhone 5 keyboard a step back? If so, why? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

To begin with, my typing skills leave much to be desired and between spell check errors and my own typing errors I need to proofread everything before sending it so as not to make myself look the fool. That said, I can't say that I have noticed much difference between the current version of iOS and previous versions when it comes to typing ease or accuracy on my iPhone 4S. I have had the iPhone 5 since a couple of weeks after it was introduced last year and haven't noted any major differences with it either. I do find that my accuracy is much better on the iPad but that is most likely due to my large fingertips having more real estate available for use as a keyboard on the iPad vs. the iPhone.

3. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

It's sure not better for me, and it might be a little worse. I don't know why.

I was hoping that in landscape it would be easier to type because there'd be more room, but I haven't found that to be true.

4. KeziaPurrs

KeziaPurrs Member
    Bronze

I just came from a GS3 and find that I type much more accurately with the iP5 (in portrait mode). As for landscape, I just can't type with both thumbs. I find myself invading the left half of the screen with my right thumb thus pissing the left one off.

Sent using iCafe app

5. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Are you having less accuracy in both orientation? It may be due to the larger screen so the keys are not where you are used too. I stuck suck at typing just as much as when I had the 3.5 inch screen with earlier models. :mad:

6. KeziaPurrs

KeziaPurrs Member
    Bronze

I have very small hands so I can type well in portrait view. Landscape gives me problems.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I just find the touchscreen a little less sensitive in general.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

My experience has been that I have more typos and they seem to be consistent. I have to pay attention to where they are happening and if it's a specific area of the keyboard.

9. RespectChair

RespectChair Member
    Bronze

more typo errors for me too.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think I have an equal amount of typos on the iPhone 5. My screen response is consistent with the older models.

11. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I can't type as well in landscape two "thumbed" as I can one "thumbed" in portrait.

Sent using iCafe app

12. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

I have a hard time typing on this keyboard, but I'm coming from a note 2 with swift key (huge keyboard with probably the best predictive text available). I'm sure it will take a few more weeks to adjust :).

13. Luis Frieri

Luis Frieri New Member

Just wanted to recommend trying Touchpal out, I like both KB's for the iPhone 5 as for some reason I'd do more typos on my Samsung I927.

14. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i can't remember the last time i even used the keyboard on my phone. but i am a big fan of speech to text.

15. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I am much like iPutz. I have to use landscape mode or I make to many mistakes. I am forever hitting the cap key when going for the a key and have to correct things.

16. Terrigno

Terrigno New Member

Typing on the 5 is a lot worse then the 4S. And it's driving me crazy almost as if I want another 4 back because of the constant errors I get with the 5. I really wish they would fix this with an update.

Sent using iCafe app

17. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

I don't think the touchscreen on the ip5 is as good as the one on the ip4s as I have a lot more red lined words than normal...

Sent using iCafe app

18. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

It's harder for me to type on my ip5 too. I think I know why. The screen and keyboard are farther down than what we are used to and it's not as comfortable.

Sent using iCafe app

19. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

If you think it's bad on the iP5, try an Amazon Kindle HD!

20. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I have a kindle. Hate it.

Sent using iCafe app