Typing on lower row...

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by jmp316, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I was noticing that typing things on the lower row (space bar, numbers, return) is a little more tricky on apps that don't fill up the whole screen yet. I get a lot of miss hits while typing. Anyone else notice this? I'm attributing it to getting used to where my thumb hits in a different spot...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Interesting. I was thinking today that the whole lower row doesn't seem as sensitive as it should be. I have to sometimes hit the spacebar several times or to switch to the numbers a couple times to get it to switch. I think I've even noticed that if I hit the top of the spacebar as opposed to the middle or bottom it will work better. I too thought it was just something I needed to get used to. Now I'm thinking it's a calibration issue.

3. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

I always hit the space bar when typing on the iPhone. Big thumbs. ;)

4. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Yeah, the issue I'm having is it doesn't always recognize the touch. Sometimes near the top doesn't respond well either now that I am paying attention.

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Ok, so I'm not the only one then... Anyone else?

6. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I called Apple Support a few minutes ago and they advised me to close all running apps by pressing the home button twice and then closing each application. Then I opened my texting program and started typing and the issue was gone. All words, spaces, numbers and letters were working fine. She suggested if it happens again, to do a reset of the phone by holding the home and power button until the Apple logo appears and let the phone reboot. At this time, I don't have to do that though. I will be watching it closely now though.

7. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Ive always had trouble typing on the lower row i always hit the space bar also

8. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

That's because it is a software issue, not an issue with the iPhone itself. Apple's support team will always suggest the following for software issues:
    1. Closing all applications(if it's an issue with a keyboard or within an app).
    2. Restarting the device(turning off and back on like normal).
    3. Doing a hard reset(holding sleep/wake button and home button together).
    4. Then, last resort. restoring the device as new through iTunes or via Settings > General > Reset > Reset all content and settings.

9. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Yes, it's actually a software issue. I've found that I use a third party app for texting and that's where I see the problem still. In iMessage, there doesn't appear to be any problem. I guess a app update will be required in the future for this app.

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I was seeing the issue in apps that are not full screen yet, which are most third party apps still. Given it a few resets throughout the day, but not too much better.

11. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Yup. Especially using the spacebar. I miss spaces a LOT. As apps get retooled for v5 compatibility I suspect it will improve, but there should be a software fix that compensates for it from Apple. It is a pain. Slows down my text entry.

12. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Yeah. Let's just hope it's just one of the bugs of a new OS and hardware and will be fixed soon. I'm just really happy to know there's nothing wrong with that gorgeous screen.

13. peanut1

peanut1 New Member

Finally I found this thread... You guys are describing a problem I noticed since day 1 and was concerned that there was something faulty with my screen!

Spacebar seems stuck half the time!

Resets did nothing for me.

From the extensive testing I've done using various apps and comparing to the sensitivity with using something like iMessage I believe as well that it is due to software not being updated to this OS. I really hope it gets fixed, it is particularly annoying on IM+ Pro - which is what I mainly used for instant messaging. I also noticed that turning into landscape doesn't fix it either.

14. E Pow

E Pow Member
    Bronze

Glad I wasn’t the only one experiencing this. It’s not all the time, but at random times. Most of the times it’s the 123 key on the bottom right hand corner, or the space bar on some apps. I believe also, that it will be fixed once all the apps I use update to iOS6 and iPhone 5. The problem isn’t enough for me to be aggravated though, I’M LOVING MY iPHONE 5!

15. Lephelps78

Lephelps78 Member
    Bronze

The space bar issue is pretty bad on my device. Very frustrating! I am sure Apple will come up with a fix soon. ( I HOPE )

16. vrsc

vrsc Member
    Bronze

yep, same problems as described

17. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

I'm dealing with this as I type!

18. peanut1

peanut1 New Member

I'm just surprised not more folks have either noticed or are complaining about this. Frankly, these type of software issues are unacceptable for a state of the art phone. Developers get access to iOS beta software precisely to work out kinks and updates, so when the iOS full release is out they should be good to go as well - besides we are talking basic UI problems here!

I found that more folks over at the Apple forums are posting about this too - some guy tried out different iPhones at the Apple store and same problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4331404

19. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I don't see this as a developer problem, it's strictly an iOS problem. Developers have zero control over keyboard touch issues, its just an API call. Apple didn't test it well at all.

20. peanut1

peanut1 New Member

Interesting, I didn't know it was an API call. Do you know if there are different types of keyboard calls? (I haven't developed on iOS).
    I'm wondering because the problem does not show on all applications that have keyboard input, only on a few of them.