Typing Tip

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Move this where ever it belongs.

When typing you can save keystrokes when pressing the (?123) button if you press, hold, and slide to the desires key; after removing your finger the keyboard returns on it's own.
This is helpful when you need to add punctuation or an occasional number to your text. So rather than tap to change to numbers, tap the number, and tap to return to letters you just tap the ?123 key and slide your finger to the desired key and release.
Sorry if confusing.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The OS does this anyway..?

Like when I want to type a question, i put a ? on the end of my sentence and it defaults by going back to the main keyboard- obviously you have to tap space bar, but you would have to do this anyway.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yes you're right but not for a number. Try typing a registration code of mixed letters and numbers. It works for me.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I know what your saying, but I can't see how it would save time. You have to drag your finger across the screen. I've just tried doing it a couple of times and I still think doing the normal way is just as fast, if not faster.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I found a nice little utility on Cydia yesterday. It's called miPhone QWERTY 3.0. It adds the following to the main keyboard to eliminate having to switch keyboards for commonly used punctuation marks:

forward slash
comma
period
hyphen
colon

It makes the other keys a bit smaller, but I've had little trouble adjusting to it.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I found a nice little utility on Cydia yesterday. It's called miPhone QWERTY 3.0. It adds the following to the main keyboard to eliminate having to switch keyboards for commonly used punctuation marks:

forward slash
comma
period
hyphen
colon

It makes the other keys a bit smaller, but I've had little trouble adjusting to it.
downloading it now :eek:k:eek:k

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

forward slash
comma
period
hyphen
colon

I'd trade those keys for arrow keys. Good lord would they be nice, at least for me. Anyone know of anything that has them?

--
Mike

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah you know Quark flavors, up, down, charm, strange, top and bottom.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

forward slash
comma
period
hyphen
colon

I really like it, but it needs a SBSetting toggle. Any way to temp switch back to the old one without uninstalling it?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Arrow keys, those things that let you move around without having to use the magnifying glass for every little cursor movement.

Like right now I'm on my PC. If I need to move to a previous word to add some text I don't use my mouse to do it, as it would slow me down. It's worse on the iPhone because of the sometimes odd behavior of the magnifying glass.

I would be happy with just a non-destructive backspace key.

BTW: My Treo could easily do this via the d-pad. I've seen complaints about the pre though, since it too now lacks arrow keys.

--
Mike

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Arrow keys, those things that let you move around without having to use the magnifying glass for every little cursor movement.

Like right now I'm on my PC. If I need to move to a previous word to add some text I don't use my mouse to do it, as it would slow me down. It's worse on the iPhone because of the sometimes odd behavior of the magnifying glass.

I would be happy with just a non-destructive backspace key.

BTW: My Treo could easily do this via the d-pad. I've seen complaints about the pre though, since it too now lacks arrow keys.

--
Mike
You really have trouble using the iPhone, don't you, Mike? :):):)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You really have trouble using the iPhone, don't you, Mike? :):):)
No, I just am not thrilled with the behavior of the magnifying glass. Take the photo below. Sure in the screen-shot you can see what's going on. But getting the cursor in that exact spot means the magnifying glass is right under your finger, so you can't even see exactly where the cursor is going.

I could deal with that, though, if I at least had back and forth cursor keys to easily reposition the cursor should I end up a few charactors off. I'd rather not have to call up the magnifying glass yet again.

The biggest problem is when selecting text near the very top of the screen.

IMG_0602.JPG

I'm not alone in this. This was from one of the first reviews I read about the iPhone, but text management hasn't really changed:

"Then one day it suddenly hit me: no arrow keys! That's what had been bothering me. The iPhone keyboard has no arrow key navigation. What kind of a keyboard doesn't have arrow keys? On the iPhone, to move the cursor, you have to click and hold your finger on a line of text. A popup "magnifying glass" will display allowing you to slide the cursor to the correct placement where you can fix your text.
While this magnifying glass works very well and provides a neat and helpful magnifying effect (ideal for positioning the cursor between narrow letters such as an "li" combination), it is slower than arrow keys on a traditional keyboard. On regular keyboards, I'm self-correcting all the time. I press the backspace key to delete what I typed and I use the arrow keys to jump to places in my text to insert or delete words. But that doesn't work on the iPhone. Instead I have to take my fingers off the "keyboard" and tap-and-hold on the screen to get the magnifying glass and drag to reposition the cursor. That's a lot slower."

http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/iPhone_first_impressions_part_11/

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Has anybody ever discussed having separate forums for regular iPhone and jailbroke iPhone users? Every time I turn around and attempt to try new software that ain't for my phone. Also some threads have valid questions and the response fixes the problem if you are jb. For all who are jb you probably can't see my point since you live in both worlds.
I know I'm just whinning!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Has anybody ever discussed having separate forums for regular iPhone and jailbroke iPhone users? Every time I turn around and attempt to try new software that ain't for my phone. Also some threads have valid questions and the response fixes the problem if you are jb. For all who are jb you probably can't see my point since you live in both worlds.
I know I'm just whinning!
You're not whinning, you're whining!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't really see how there cannot be overlap. In this thread, for instance, if Nap didn't post about the Cydia keyboard, no one reading this thread would know about it. And for some it might be so attractive they will find themselves JB'ing just to get it.

So while there are indeed forums for customization and non-apple-approved software, there will be overlap when a solution exists that is only available via jb'ing.

It's not like jb'ing today is a dirty little secret. It's practically mainstream.

--
Mike

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Mike is correct. Jailbreaking is so easy now it's ridiculous. And I've actually gotten several paid apps from the Cydia store that are wonderful:

3Gunrestrictor
PkgBackup (this app rules)
InSpell
YourTube
Safari Download Manager
mQuickDo (I'm in love!)

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yeah I see your point. It's just something I'll have to figure out. It can just get a little confusing for us when solutions or software are offered without hint that it only applies to jb.:eek:k:eek:k
ps NP thanks for the free spelling lesson. I bet jb offers a spell checker that I could use huh?;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You see those red lines in the screen shot I posted above? Yep, it's a spell check app that I got from Cydia,

Oh yes, if anyone ever refers to an app from Cydia, you can know right there that you need to be jb to get it.

--
Mike