u kno what really grinds my gears

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Remember too, 3G only covers certain metropolitan areas. About 22% of the US. Edge is far more vast.
true...but it would be nice to have the option of having 3G. The iPhone hardware gives you no option. Being in Dallas, I'd love to have the option and if i'm in the sticks be able to use Edge then.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
true...but it would be nice to have the option of having 3G. The iPhone hardware gives you no option. Being in Dallas, I'd love to have the option and if i'm in the sticks be able to use Edge then.
Hold on a minute! The Helio Ocean does not currently support EV-DO Rev A. That's the only way it would blow EDGE out of the water. EV-DO Rev 0 is not that much faster, and in some cases slower, than EDGE (plenty of tests have shown the iPhone faster than on EDGE than, say, a Treo using EV-DO Rev 0).

And as pointed out EDGE is pretty much everywhere AT&T has presense. EV-DO (0 or a) has much less coverage. And when you are using an Ocean in a non-EV-DO area it falls back to CDMA 1 x, which is dramatically slower than EDGE. I hated that when I was with Sprint.

Finally, it doesn't offer WiFi, which is how most of the data gets to my iPhone.

--
Mike

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hold on a minute! The Helio Ocean does not currently support EV-DO Rev A. That's the only way it would blow EDGE out of the water. EV-DO Rev 0 is not that much faster, and in some cases slower, than EDGE (plenty of tests have shown the iPhone faster than on EDGE than, say, a Treo using EV-DO Rev 0).

And as pointed out EDGE is pretty much everywhere AT&T has presense. EV-DO (0 or a) has much less coverage. And when you are using an Ocean in a non-EV-DO area it falls back to CDMA 1 x, which is dramatically slower than EDGE. I hated that when I was with Sprint.

Finally, it doesn't offer WiFi, which is how most of the data gets to my iPhone.

--
Mike
I never said anything about Helio. Honestly know nothing about Helio and don't care to. I was responding to the part where he said AT&T didn't offer 3G which is not the case, Apple decided not to use a 3G chip in the iPhone. Doesn't really bother me too much at all, i have no problem with Edge as i have stated many times on this forum. BUT, seeing how AT&T does have 3G available it would be nice to have the option.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I never said anything about Helio.
Huh? That's what this thread is about.

But in any event my reply was more in general, not specific to you. I just came out of "debate" with a friend who was going nuts over the Ocean (who was throwing around 3g without the slightest idea what it means, nor the difference between Rev 0 and Rev a, and how it was gonna "crush" the iPhone). Guess I was a bit reactive.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
OP said Helio offers EVDO (Rev. 0 as you correctly stated) and AT&T only gives us EDGE. AT&T gives us 3G, Apple doesn't. I was redirecting OP's blame towards the hardware itself and not the network.
Damn it! You replied seconds before I edited my post. Thought I caught it in time ;) (see the part that was added).

--
Mike

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Huh? That's what this thread is about.

But in any event my reply was more in general, not specific to you. I just came out of "debate" with a friend who was going nuts over the Ocean (who was throwing around 3g without the slightest idea what it means, nor the difference between Rev 0 and Rev a, and how it was gonna "crush" the iPhone). Guess I was a bit reactive.

--
Mike
Heh...the thought that anything Helio would crush the iPhone is hilarious. And like you said, EVDO coverage is spotty at best. When I had Sprint and VZW and would drop to CDMA 1x it was almost as painful as a root canal. I'm happy with EDGE when not around a wireless network I can access.