U2 Free Download

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Wow, can't believe they had to do that!
You would not believe the complaints I've seen. Hiding the U2 music wasn't good enough. It's been like a personal thing against U2. I'm not that big a fan. I liked their early songs of the late '80's and early '90's. But I was happy to get the album. I have yet to listen to all of it. There's a few I don't care for. I'll just hide those. Not a big deal.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
You would not believe the complaints I've seen. Hiding the U2 music wasn't good enough. It's been like a personal thing against U2. I'm not that big a fan. I liked their early songs of the late '80's and early '90's. But I was happy to get the album. I have yet to listen to all of it. There's a few I don't care for. I'll just hide those. Not a big deal.
I also thought people went a bit overboard with some of the complaints... initially. Then, when you said...

...had it been Dr Dre, I may have done the same.
I understood their frustration perfectly, because I would have been just as enraged as they are if Apple had dumped some BS Dr. Dre album into my iTunes library. I just got lucky that it was an album from a band whose work I really enjoy.

I can totally understand how people who did not know that Apple was doing this promotional/gift thingamajig could have gotten flustered when they saw the unexpected album in their iTunes library. Some might have even thought that their account got hacked into. The prudent way to have done this would have been to have iTunes display a dialog box asking if the user wanted to download the album.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I also thought people went a bit overboard with some of the complaints... initially. Then, when you said...

I understood their frustration perfectly, because I would have been just as enraged as they are if Apple had dumped some BS Dr. Dre album into my iTunes library. I just got lucky that it was an album from a band whose work I really enjoy.

I can totally understand how people who did not know that Apple was doing this promotional/gift thingamajig could have gotten flustered when they saw the unexpected album in their iTunes library. Some might have even thought that their account got hacked into. The prudent way to have done this would have been to have iTunes display a dialog box asking if the user wanted to download the album.
Even with any Rap or Hip Hop, which I like the least of any genre, I would have just hid it and moved on. I may have complained once in a comment, but I would not have gone on and on about it.

Bunk009

Bronze
Sep 16, 2014
So I don't really care about the album being in my iCloud as I kind of like the band.

My question is, can I just leave it in iCloud forever? Or will it disappear on October 13 if I don't physically download it to a device?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yes, you can leave it in iCloud. I'm not sure what'll happen on the 13th. I believe it'll still be there, but I'm not entirely sure. Apple has a support document for those looking to remove the U2 album from their iTunes library and purchases.

To remove this album:

1. Go to https://itunes.com/soi-remove.
  2. Click Remove Album to confirm you'd like to remove the album from your account.
  3. Sign in with the Apple ID and password you use to buy from the iTunes Store.
  4. You'll see a confirmation message that the album has been removed from your account.
Now, since you're note removing it from iCloud, you should still retain access.

Once the album has been removed from your account, it will no longer be available for you to redownload as a previous purchase. If you later decide you want the album, you will need to get it again. The album is free to everyone until October 13, 2014, and will be available for purchase after that date.

To me, that means, you'll have access after the 13th. If you were to take the steps outlined to delete it, then you'd be in trouble.

Hope this helps.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
U2 humbly apologized for the album that was forced upon iTunes users not too long ago, in an interview published on Facebook today.

I haven't watched the video, but Macrumors claims that "Bono says that the group 'got carried away' with themselves and were worried that songs they had spent two years working on 'might not be heard.'"

It wasn't an inconvenience to me at all, personally, but others were quite outraged by the event, and I've enjoyed watching it all unfold.

Industry analyst Bob Lefsetz said, in a grammtically incorrect statement, that it was “no different from a rape or a murder, but with even less legs.” (He should have used "fewer" instead of "less.")

From that same article: iOS developer Dan Wineman was more subdued, tweeting, “Evolution of music sales: 1. Pay a lot 2. Pay a little 3. Pay anything 4. OK fine, just pay once a month 5. F*** you, now you own a U2 album.”

Last edited:

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I actually didn't mind it at all. I don't see the outrage of Apple pushing a free album to iTunes users. There's actually a couple songs on there I like, which is a plus cause there's is now way that I would have listened to it otherwise. #nobiggie

TRBO VNM

Bronze
Oct 18, 2009
Amazing the complaints for something you are given free. If it's not your type of music, remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
I am in the minority that did not mind and actually like the album.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using iCafe Forums

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Amazing the complaints for something you are given free. If it's not your type of music, remove it.
the initial problem was there wasn't any way to remove it from your cloud. Apple had to create a special webpage for people to opt to have it removed. I love the fact that Bono is apologizing for someone else giving away their music. It was all worth it just for that. classic Bono.

Anyway, I'd rate the album at 85 Courics or so. Even bigger than Bono himself.

Last edited: