Ugh, 499 for 32 gb not 299 for me :(

Cove

Jun 20, 2009
Aw rats, just got off the phone with ATT and they confirmed its 499 for the 32GB for me. I guess am not surprised, since I had the 1st gen iPhone, then 2nd gen iPhone and at first I wasn't too impressed with it, but I now am deciding I want to get the 3GS for its faster web browsing. Since I have a 16 GB 3G, I would probably want the 32 GB at that point for more 'value' since I would be putting down money.

Still for a smart phone price its really par for the course relatively speaking, but I was hearing how some people were able to get the lowest rate (299 for 32 GB) even after they had already owned a 3G and did not have the $99 or greater montly plan (I have hte basic 450 min one no sms).

I guess i'll get it even for $499, instead of waiting till march 2010 (for lower rate), which by then am sure the iPhone 4th gen with a must have feature will come out by the summer 2010.

I'll admit, I didn't have any desire to get the 3GS but was curious to what exactly was meant for speed. Generally speaking, hardware thats faster tends to be like 5 to 20% faster, which I just couldnt quite justify the price. But seeing how the web browsing in some videos are clearly faster is a huge deal for me. I AM ALWAYS websurfing on the thing, specially at the store and price checking or reading reviews on a product before I buy it. And even on 3G when it takes 1 minute per product/page am looking at (amazon, target, etc), the idea of a faster web browsing becomes very very eye catching. Its very common for me to literally stand in a store for 10 minutes in one spot looking like a goofball as I search on my phone whether product X is good to get or not (music cd reviews, games, buying something for the house, if other stores might have it cheaper, maybe one product with good reviews is sold out, but another product is available so i need to see what people think on it/quality, etc).

What was the final seller was seeing the gizmodo review/video clip where the web browsing video (see below) shows loading a page on 3GS in about 22 secs and 3G in 48 seconds. And as we can see, there quite a few postings out there that clearly show the 3GS web page loading is noticably faster, and not by a few seconds either, in some cases twice almost three times faster. For me standing 15 minutes at Frys Electronics in one spot looking at some air conditioner/vacuum cleaner...thats a big deal.

/whine off sorry guys

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
if you are already with AT&T and don't mind paying only 9.99 a month then add a line and have AT&T cancel the data plan on the new phone then switch out sim cards like i did ...walked out pating 299. for the 32 gig and 9.99 wont kill me

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
if you are already with AT&T and don't mind paying only 9.99 a month then add a line and have AT&T cancel the data plan on the new phone then switch out sim cards like i did ...walked out pating 299. for the 32 gig and 9.99 wont kill me
I am not eligible either so I am trying to make sense of this. What am I missing.

$300 Phone
$240 Added Line ($10X24 mos.)
$540
You can get the phone for $399-$499.

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
I am not eligible either so I am trying to make sense of this. What am I missing.

$300 Phone
$240 Added Line ($10X24 mos.)
$540
You can get the phone for $399-$499.
Well thats what I was saying the 240 wont kill me over a 2 year period. So instead of paying the 155 cancel fee I just pay 240 so it comes to 85 dollar difference which is easier now than me paying 499.99 up front.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well thats what I was saying the 240 wont kill me over a 2 year period. So instead of paying the 155 cancel fee I just pay 240 so it comes to 85 dollar difference which is easier now than me paying 499.99 up front.
OK, gottcha. I can see where that works. Just spread it out instead of all at once.

I needed to add a line for one of my kids so I used the add a line for one 3G S and then used my upgrade eligibility from buying 3G on launch day last year. I will call later next week to cancel the data plan on the new line and then getting a cheap phone for him off eBay. He is 12 so chances he loses it or tears it up are good so an eBay bought flip phone will work great for him.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I needed to add a line for one of my kids so I used the add a line for one 3G S and then used my upgrade eligibility from buying 3G on launch day last year. I will call later next week to cancel the data plan on the new line and then getting a cheap phone for him off eBay. He is 12 so chances he loses it or tears it up are good so an eBay bought flip phone will work great for him.
Look at AT&T go phones, just put his sim in it.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
If your not too worried about switching numbers then just cancel your plan. early termination would be around 130 or so with your timeframe it goes down from 175 in 5 dollar intervals every month. Just cancel the plan pay the 130 or so and start a new plan get a new number and new phone price on the iPhone. Mines gonna end up being 270 for the 16 gig im 21 months into the plan. My buddy works at ATT and he said i can cancel then 2 minutes later just open a new account and get the new customer price.