uhh my phone already does the triangalation (sp)

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Im still on 1.2 and I typed in info on maps for from and to and I got that circle showing where I am like is shown in the leaked vids of 1.3. Its weird I'm not jailbroke or unlocked.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
I think the op is refering to when you manually type in your starting and ending address on google maps.. it plots your course.. triangulation works by obtaining your location through nearby towers in the event your in a new city or lost.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I think he's just misunderstanding. Are you talking about the purple circle around your staring point on a trip? If so then I assure you its not the gps thing. The chances of your one stock iPhone to somehow have a single feature from Apple's future update, are slim at best

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If you put in a starting point in another state, the purple circle will be around that point. There's no triangulation app yet.
Navizon does work now and will show your location on the iPhone's Google Maps app. Seems to be as accurate as can be via cellphone triangulation.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
But that's not a standard app. He was saying he was getting triangulation from his standard firmware.
I responded to this: "There's no triangulation app yet." As noted, there is such an app--and it works right now.

As far as it being "standard," Navizon distributes their app for a wide range of phones. It's not poison.

--
Mike

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I responded to this: "There's no triangulation app yet." As noted, there is such an app--and it works right now.

As far as it being "standard," Navizon distributes their app for a wide range of phones. It's not poison.

--
Mike

Then maybe you didn't read the first sentence of my post..."That is not a standard app." OF course, maybe I could have been clearer by saying "there is not a STANDARD triangulation app yet that is included in the standard firmware."

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Navizon does work now and will show your location on the iPhone's Google Maps app. Seems to be as accurate as can be via cellphone triangulation.

--
Mike
Im not having the same results with Navizon. Everytime I try it, it's at least 15 miles away. Is that as accurate as can be?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Im not having the same results with Navizon. Everytime I try it, it's at least 15 miles away. Is that as accurate as can be?
Depends on the area, but my assumption would be yes in your case. And since Google Maps will have to rely on the same cell towers it likely won't do any better.

Sparsely populated areas, with relatively few cell towers, won't be as accurate as densely populated areas with many cell towers.

The non-free version of Navizon also uses WiFi too (or, from what I observed, the address of the first router it can locate from your ISP). I don't really see this as much of an advantage, but it's there nontheless.

--
Mike