UK O2 users... upgrade?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi,

When upgrading from the V1 iPhone to the 3g, i know people were offered a free upgrade early because it was unsubsidized. What do people think about a free early upgrade to the next version iPhone?

If we sign up to a new 18 month contract do you think we will be offered some kind of trade in sceme? Get it completly free? Ideas?

Rozae

Apr 10, 2009
UK
I would think so. Considering you're paying for the phone, O2 will be dying to tie you in for another 18 months. :D

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Hi,

When upgrading from the V1 iPhone to the 3g, i know people were offered a free upgrade early because it was unsubsidized. What do people think about a free early upgrade to the next version iPhone?

If we sign up to a new 18 month contract do you think we will be offered some kind of trade in sceme? Get it completly free? Ideas?

You get a thnkx for being a Man United fan. Chelsea blows, and Arsenal can just drop off the planet.

lol... O2 is more than likely going to do a subs price again to get more people with them. Maybe with the new iPhone coming they will do something like a price cut on the existing 3G and offer some amount of price off the new iPhone for upgrading and extending a contract. The only way people are going to get the new iPhone for free is if they are a brand new termed contract for O2.

rcoley

Apr 3, 2009
From what I've been told, O2 won't do a free upgrade, as they did with iPhone v1, to the new iPhone as the iPhone 3g was free on certain contracts ranging upto £159. They may do a subsidised upgrade dependent on the length of time you've been in your existing contract. Alternatively it may be worth getting the free iPhone 3.0 upgrade until being able to have an early upgrade.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
From what I've been told, O2 won't do a free upgrade, as they did with iPhone v1, to the new iPhone as the iPhone 3g was free on certain contracts ranging upto £159. They may do a subsidised upgrade dependent on the length of time you've been in your existing contract. Alternatively it may be worth getting the free iPhone 3.0 upgrade until being able to have an early upgrade.
yes, i have 3.0 but certain features being discussed - mainly video - seem only to be available with new hardware. This would seriously p**s me off!

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
To my knowing, O2 isn't one to update certain things like AT&T would do. We'd probably see MMS and crap after a few months.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The MMS side of things is a totally different thing, AT&T are a totally separate network, they probably don't even communicate with each other.

If the 'new' iPhone comes with MMS as we know 3.0 will, then i'm sure that o2 would have taken into account through Apple's tech guys that this will have to be a must for the launch of the FW/iPhone etc..

P.S Londonrockz I'm also a united fan! i hate everton!

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I hope they do this in Australia... :) If they don't im sticking with my 3G.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
to be perfectly honest i think this will be generic across most if not all carriers. I don't see why they wouldn't support it when people like myself have been waiting for fully working apps like this to come. There will always be the argument about emailing pictures for free but MMS is for those that don't support the email. Only time will tell

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
O2 supports MMS now on 3.0 beta 2/3. I have it running fully to send and receive. All i did was update my IPCC file and call o2, explain im a beta tester and they put mms on my account. It cost 3 x std messages from my allowance to send. free to receive.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
i think this topic has gone off course...

Croucher i know MMS works, it was one of the people above that discussed something else then this went off on weird tangent some where lol.

I was merely suggesting that there would be no reason why o2 wouldn't support MMS when 3.0 is officially released along with the new iPhone (if released) when it works now!

Also... does that whole 'i'm a beta tester for Apple' work? i tried that on with o2 a while back, they told me to ram it!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
yup, definatly works, they added mms straight away for me!

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
I'm asking myself a similar question Croucher. I currently own the iPhone V1 and my 18 month contract runs out next month. I pressume the 3rd iPhone will be released in July so my question would be; "Will the 3rd iPhone be a free upgrade?". I will happily sign another 18 month contract and I finished my previous 18 month contract without switching during it like some people did to get the 3G. I think, though, that O2 will charge about £100 plus the £30-£45 a month for the new iPhone but I'm hoping there isn't an initial fee as surely they will want to keep us onboard as customers!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
hi Clover,

your in a difficult situation... it's a bit of a shame considering your contract is nearly up as Apple are no doubt going to release a new iPhone. Like last time, i had v1 iPhone and i was halfway through my 18month contract when the new one came out. As you know o2 allowed existing iPhone customers on a £45 a month contract would get a free upgrade and there 18month contract would restart.

This time, to keep o2's custom, i think they will do the same.

So you might as well stay on an iPhone contract so when the new one comes out upgrade to that (i don't know if you could upgrade to another 3g or not... i can't see why they wouldn't let you get another one, just think. you could wam it on ebay or something)

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
When the contract officially ends, can I carry on with the pay monthly? Like, my contract runs out in May, but for June, if I don't start a new contract with anything, can I carry on paying £35 a month for my minutes and texts? If that's the case, I'll do that for another 2-3 months and then upgrade to the 3rd iPhone because I really don't want the 3G.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Like i said before.. it was only the people on a £45 a month contract who could upgrade with zero charge. The only thing you had to pay for was £50-60 to get the 16gb version.

I think they'll do something similar this time as well. You will probably need to upgrade to a £45 a month to get the new phone a few months into your contract.. i can't be sure to be perfectly honest as there is nothing set in stone to say this will happen.

I don't see why they wouldn't let you upgrade your contract (as it's ending). When you upgrade you might get another iPhone 3g.. which means you could either sell it on ebay or something and keep your old one, and when the new phone comes out, upgrade straight to that reset your contract start date for another 18months

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
i don't think it was as simple as paying £50 for the new phone.

I had the choice between the 8gb version, which was free and the 16gb version which cost an extra £50-60 i can't remember which but it was one or the other!

I really think o2 will do the same, there the dominant carrier in the UK there going to keep hold of there iPhone rights as long as possible. They like to be the only one with the iPhone + just think how many people changed contracts just to get one!

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
ALOT of people jumped ship from vodafone and other carriers to get the iPhone on o2.

Its just better.