UK will get a 3G iPhone, with Vodafone, T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse Partnership

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fatgadget, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Fatgadget

Fatgadget New Member

Details have been revealed details of the new partnership between, Vodafone, T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse, which will see the UK getting a 3G version of the iPhone.

Full Story

2. Twinnie

Twinnie New Member
    Bronze

I'm not too sure about this news, a website I've never heard of cites another website I've never heard of. Seems believable though so I won't write it off. I was just saying to a mate today that I didn't think the 1st gen iPhone would ever make it over here to the UK cos Jobs would be wasting his money. I expected them to sort out some of the bugs, reduce the production costs and fit 3G then release a 2nd gen iPhone which would eventually make it over here a few months after America.

This article sorta sums up my opinions: http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djhighlights/200706280838DOWJONESDJONLINE000596.htm

Jobs is either gonna have to annoy US consumers by making huge price reductions or release the phone to market that isn't going to buy it. Unlike US there are high profile competitors, both of which have similar functionality, if not better, and they're available for free on 12 month contracts with affordable tariffs.

However, 3G was my main reason not to get one but I don't know, I like the look of what Bluetooth 2.1 can do but I suppose that by the time an iPhone contract ran out we still wouldn't be using it properly. I'd still like GPS on it but that can actually be approximated using available technology, which would be good enough for me if they actually bother using it.

3. Fat Man

Fat Man New Member
    Bronze

I hope it follows this line of thinking. Seems we could get a good deal after all...... now how long do we have to wait........:laugh2:

4. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

I don't know if its true but if it is good for you guys.

EDIT NO WAY
    It says it will be released MONDAY"?

5. Fat Man

Fat Man New Member
    Bronze

I am guessing conformation anouncement. We never get launches that early lol:(

6. captain4004

captain4004 New Member
    Bronze

Hey that licking thing is starting to freak me out. But I can't help looking at it.

7. Fat Man

Fat Man New Member
    Bronze

Yeah although i am straying off topic, if i posted lots one after the other it would make for a very hypnotic sequence:)

8. Bosco115

Bosco115 New Member
    Bronze

Right. Does everybody seem to forget about Apple's contract with AT&T? This WILL NOT happen anytime soon.

9. Fatgadget

Fatgadget New Member

I think that the annoucement will come on Monday, and then the UK will probably have to wait until October or maybe even longer (I wouldn't be surprised if we see a late November early December release) to actually get the iPhone.

This would seem consistent with what Apple did in the US, by annoucing the iPhone in January, and then launching the iPhone 6 Months later.

:)

10. Fat Man

Fat Man New Member
    Bronze

Erm, AT&T don't actually exist over here, so Apple have to find a separate carrier for Europe. AT&T are just for America.

11. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

Bosco thats in america only

12. Lazarus

Lazarus Member
    Bronze

JMO but that contract only apply's to the U.S

13. Fat Man

Fat Man New Member
    Bronze

Yeah i mean Apple would not risk the extra revenue they could generate with a European and Asian launch.. it would be non sencical. The AT&T deal JUST applies to the American market

14. Bosco115

Bosco115 New Member
    Bronze

15. Twinnie

Twinnie New Member
    Bronze

I'm not that happy that Vodafone are getting it since I'm already on Vodafone and I want an introductory and to keep my number. I might have to pay off my contract then pay for them to release the PAC code to another network on Pay As You Go the pay again to have it brought back. And Carphone Warehouse? What the hell? No one goes to Carphone Warehouse, that's bottom of the barrel stuff.

To be honest, as long as Orange don't get their grubby little mitts on it, otherwise it might end up looking a little like this:

*edit*
    Boscoe, what the hell are you on about? Apple have already said they were looking for another partner to launch in Europe, they've also said they are definitely releasing it abroad. AT&T don't own the iPhone, Apple do.

#15 Twinnie, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  16. Fatgadget

Fatgadget New Member

That Guy would be me :laugh2:

I guess we will see on Monday, but it makes sense that the UK and Europe would get a 3G iPhone, as others have said on this forum 3G is pretty big in Europe and if Apple want to compete with the likes of Nokia, it would be good businesss sense for them to use the existing, well established 3G networks.

17. alan

alan New Member
    Bronze

Apple isn't announcing a 3G version on monday. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is a 3G version before the europe and asia releases, but they sure aren't announcing it on Monday.

You don't release the most hyped product in years and then announce it's obsolete 3 days later.

18. Fat Man

Fat Man New Member
    Bronze

Rofl.... Orange do bugger things up when it comes to phones. The frickin awful badge they have to stamp on EVERY phone they get. Your right, orange are the LAST people we want to get their hands on the iPhone.

#18 Fat Man, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  19. Fatgadget

Fatgadget New Member

I tend to agree, that they may not announce the 3G version on Monday, but I suspect when the iPhone is released in Europe its will be 3G.

There are a number of rumours going around that Apple have ordered 5 Million iPhones for September delivery from a manufacturer, which would coincide with the reported European release date of October.

If they do announce their European partnership on Monday, what network will they announce that the European iPhone will run on 2G?

It will be very interesting to see how the story develops.

:)

20. Fat Man

Fat Man New Member
    Bronze

It wouldn't be obsolete. Its just cause Europe being smaller, has a more complete and established 3G network it would make sense having a 3G iPhone. If we had an EDGE network you could guess what we would be getting. BTW they probably wont announce its 3G, just the carrier. But the carrier will give an idea of whether the phone is indeed 2G or not