UK will get a 3G iPhone, with Vodafone, T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse Partnership

Fatgadget

Jun 29, 2007
I'm not that happy that Vodafone are getting it since I'm already on Vodafone and I want an introductory and to keep my number. I might have to pay off my contract then pay for them to release the PAC code to another network on Pay As You Go the pay again to have it brought back. And Carphone Warehouse? What the hell? No one goes to Carphone Warehouse, that's bottom of the barrel stuff.

To be honest, as long as Orange don't get their grubby little mitts on it, otherwise it might end up looking a little like this:

*edit*
Boscoe, what the hell are you on about? Apple have already said they were looking for another partner to launch in Europe, they've also said they are definitely releasing it abroad. AT&T don't own the iPhone, Apple do.
Orange used to be such a great mobile phone provider, I have been with them for a number of years, but over the last 3 or 4 years they have been useless.

They always seem to be the last mobile operator that gets the latest mobile phones, and i can't wait to change mobile providers, as I have been waiting for the iPhone release.

And your right about the branding, why do they feel the need to put logos on everything, do they think we are going to forget who we pay our monthly subscription too :laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I'm not so sure about the network being a clue as to the 3G, unless they released it on Three of course, but they won't, I assure you. All network operators have a 3G network now don't they? I remember when my mate first got a 3G phone, but that must have been years ago, I rarely go anywhere I don't get 3G coverage nowadays.

BTW, in case any of you have never used Three, they don't actually let you get onto the proper internet with your phone. They have their own 3G internet which is more like an intranet and any time spent on it comes out of your minutes. Plus they're nearly as bad as Orange for branding their phones. Apple wouldn't even consider them.

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
I guess T-Mobile has the best chance of getting it. But then again arent they closely linked to a certain arch nemesis of AT&T.... not that that matters:eek:

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I wouldn't mind so much if it's a good while til we get it to be honest. I wanna see what happens in regards to future versions of iPhones. If there's even a glimmer of hope that we'll soon be getting an iPhone with GPS as well as 3G then I'll wait. For me that would be the complete package, Bluetooth 2.1/3 would be nice but I reckon I can live without them if I have wifi.

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
I think Apple would make a mistake releasing a new iPhone before the 2 year AT&T contract in America is up. There wouldn't be many people who would wanna replace a phone of that price too soon. They should focus more long term development on making a really spcial second release.

Fatgadget

Jun 29, 2007
Hi Guys

I am pretty sure Vodafone is getting the iPhone now.

An online mobile phone retailer had details on their website lastnight of the iPhone with a Vodafone contract, they have taken it off their website today.

Were they told by Apple or Vodafone to remove it ? i don't know.

What i did do was take a few screenshots of the webpage, which you can see here

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
Hi Guys

I am pretty sure Vodafone is getting the iPhone now.

An online mobile phone retailer had details on their website lastnight of the iPhone with a Vodafone contract, they have taken it off their website today.

Were they told by Apple or Vodafone to remove it ? i don't know.

What i did do was take a few screenshots of the webpage, which you can see here
Coolio. Maybe it was the site just jumping the gun so it could add something to its site that would be of consumer interest. But i could do with a switch from Orange...this coud be good news:)

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I'm hoping it is two network operators, so we get a bit of competition between the two. Apple will be mistaken if they think that they can have networks begging them for the iPhone, in UK the networks call the shots and they know this. The iPhone doesn't have enough demand over here to cause change. Most people haven't even heard of it.

Phones2U don't know jack unfortunately. They had the Nokia N92 listed as 'Coming Soon' about two and a half years ago, it's still not out. They basically but up some speculative contracts as soon as they hear about a phone.

Fatgadget

Jun 29, 2007
Coolio. Maybe it was the site just jumping the gun so it could add something to its site that would be of consumer interest. But i could do with a switch from Orange...this coud be good news:)
Yeah i did think that at first also, but why would they take it down so quick?

Fatgadget

Jun 29, 2007
Well I've got one here says it will be on O2 and Vodafone:
http://usaf.charitymobiles.co.uk/o2-apple-iphone.html

These websites are a load of rubbish.
I did think that myself at first, but if you look closely at the photos, it shows details of the contracts, which are current Vodafone ones, and it also has details of the Apple warranty.

Maybe it was speculation by this mobile phone retailer, I don't know, is guess we will have to wait until someone from Apple or Vodafone confirms or denies it.

no1Joeno1

Jun 18, 2007
Apple isn't announcing a 3G version on monday. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is a 3G version before the europe and asia releases, but they sure aren't announcing it on Monday.

You don't release the most hyped product in years and then announce it's obsolete 3 days later.
But they are announcing it for a different country, UK doesn't have EDGE.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
why would Apple release a edge phone in the states, then 3 days later release a 3g phone in europe? are they trying to piss everyone in the US off? sounds like they'd be setting themselves up for some serious backlash in the US if they did this. the states get the crippled edge phone, while europe gets 3g. stupid move if they do it.

Fatgadget

Jun 29, 2007
why would Apple release a edge phone in the states, then 3 days later release a 3g phone in europe? are they trying to piss everyone in the US off? sounds like they'd be setting themselves up for some serious backlash in the US if they did this. the states get the crippled edge phone, while europe gets 3g. stupid move if they do it.
Didn't AT&T just increase the speed of their Edge network, theres an article about it here on Gizmodo

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
Why does everyone think they would release it 3 days later. Thats the earliest we would expect an announcement. It will be a couple of months at least before any release. There is no carrier confirmation yet....