UK will get a 3G iPhone, with Vodafone, T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse Partnership

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
i was just basing my 3 day comment on the one article that is calling for the announcement Monday.

either way though, with all the production involved, why have two variants when you could just run a single 3g production line in the first place? seems like a dumb move to sell everyone here in the states an edge phone then turn around days or months later and give europe the 3g version (that everyone here would love to have, even with att's supposed edge improvements).

just my two cents. i'd think it would be easier to just have a single production that covers both markets

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
i was just basing my 3 day comment on the one article that is calling for the announcement Monday.

either way though, with all the production involved, why have two variants when you could just run a single 3g production line in the first place? seems like a dumb move to sell everyone here in the states an edge phone then turn around days or months later and give europe the 3g version (that everyone here would love to have, even with att's supposed edge improvements).

just my two cents. i'd think it would be easier to just have a single production that covers both markets
I agree Apple should have made it 3G to begin with. Wonder what makes them doubt AT&Ts 3G coverage....

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
From what I understand the very reason the US iPhone doesn't have the 3G hardware is because they couldn't get hold of a battery efficient radio in time to start production and with the lack of 3G coverage by AT&T it wasn't deemed important enough to push the release date back. A 3G radio would just highlight how meagre AT&T's 3G coverage is, that wouldn't be good for Apple or AT&T.

You say there's no point in releasing 3G in Europe and leaving the US people unhappy. Well there's no point in releasing a non-3G phone in Europe because people who pay a lot for their phones (the target audience) are all used to 3G speeds by now. It just wouldn't sell, hell, I've said on here a few times that I really want an iPhone but won't buy one until it has 3G.

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
It must also be remembered that in Europe people will also be forced to pay more for this product then those in the U.S, so we would want more for our mohuney.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
i'm not saying there's no point in releasing a 3g in europe, everyone should be able to buy one if they want, and obviously you've got a better 3g setup over there (i'm just jealous basically). i just question the entire 2g move in the states, b/c att already has a couple 3g phones out and available, and obviously Apple would have to solve the 3g issue for you guys, so why not just solve it for us at the same time.

this is all just hearsay obviously b/c in the end none of us know what's going to go on (or what will even be released at 6PM here, even). we'll see i guess.

maybe europe will get 3g unlocked versions and you can all make a profit selling them to everyone in the states :)

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I hear a lot of people are getting into the habit of importing European phones cos they're in English, they're often unlocked, they're more advanced and sometimes they're cheaper.

I wouldn't get overly jealous of our 3G network, where I live, at least, Wifi coverage is crap. I can only think of one place in town that has free Wifi.

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
i'm not saying there's no point in releasing a 3g in europe, everyone should be able to buy one if they want, and obviously you've got a better 3g setup over there (i'm just jealous basically). i just question the entire 2g move in the states, b/c att already has a couple 3g phones out and available, and obviously Apple would have to solve the 3g issue for you guys, so why not just solve it for us at the same time.

this is all just hearsay obviously b/c in the end none of us know what's going to go on (or what will even be released at 6PM here, even). we'll see i guess.

maybe europe will get 3g unlocked versions and you can all make a profit selling them to everyone in the states :)
Yeah, i guess Apple would need to switch carrier for a better 3G network (unless AT&T is the best 3G carrier in the states already). If the latter is the case then AT&T should get their arses into gear and seriously improve there 3G services for you.
If we have the unlocked versions, just hope you don't get sold one with a hideous coporate logo stamped on the front *orange* because that would be a crime against the iPhones beauty:cool:

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
I hear a lot of people are getting into the habit of importing European phones cos they're in English, they're often unlocked, they're more advanced and sometimes they're cheaper.

I wouldn't get overly jealous of our 3G network, where I live, at least, Wifi coverage is crap. I can only think of one place in town that has free Wifi.
CHEAPER? Have you seen the dollar against the pound lately? I don't even think its fairing too good against the Euro, but i dunno tbh. Ill be quiet now.

I just hope we never have to get that darned euro;)

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
We won't get the Euro, too many conservative votes at stake, and not enough to gain.

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
At least thats good news. It would be too much of an adjustment changing currency: "Ill have an iPhone please"......"yeah... that'll be 600 coca beans" lol