Ultimate Buds (Headphones): Any Reviews?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 23, 2007
I'd like to purchase a pair of headphones with high quality sound. My budget is $175, but I would like the same functionality of the original stock Apple Headphones (answer calls, pause, advance to next track). Has anyone tried the Ultimate Buds yet? I’ve looked for reviews on iLounge and other places but can’t find any. Or can you make a suggestion; BlueTooth or wired? Thanks in advance.

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/ (these have all of the Apple stock functionality)

Coast2Coast

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I'd like to purchase a pair of headphones with high quality sound. My budget is $175, but I would like the same functionality of the original stock Apple Headphones (answer calls, pause, advance to next track). Has anyone tried the Ultimate Buds yet? I’ve looked for reviews on iLounge and other places but can’t find any. Or can you make a suggestion; BlueTooth or wired? Thanks in advance.

Coast2Coast
iPhone does not support Stereo Bluetooth and I haven't seen any iPhone specific high quality headphones that have a mic, the click button, etc...

If you cando without these features and want sound quality pic up an audio jack extender and a set of high quality headphones.

dschur

Jul 13, 2007
I ordered and received, along with a handwritten thank you note thanking me for being one of the first customers.

The fit and finish is perfect. There is no way you can tell that they were disassembled for the customization. They sound perfect, fit comfortably and have great functionality with the stock clicker.

In short, they are the perfect solution for me, they combine everything I wanted and I am returning a set of V-moda's vibe duo's I had purchased.

I now see that ultimatebuds is allowing you to wither send in your stock iPhone buds or a set of exiting er-6i's which will greatly reduce the cost if you have them.

In short, this can't be beat in my book - check out www.ultimatebuds.com !

climr

Jul 31, 2007
Thanks for the review!

I'm sending a pair into iLounge tomorrow so hopefully they will have a review posted soon.

We've really been working with other ear buds - trying to give you guys more options, yet still keep things reliable and looking 100% stock. To be honsest, we've had limted success, but we do have one more trick up our sleeve. I won't give details yet, but it involves custom injection moulding which may make it cost prohibitive considering the low quantities we're dealing with. I have a meeting to discuss this tomorrow, so we'll see.

Personally I still love the sound, fit and isolation of the Etymotics.

Brad
www.ultimatebuds.com

Avelek

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Are these secure in your ears? My problem with the Apple ones is that they fall out very easily. I was thinking of getting some with the over the ear hook, but if these are secure, they seem nice.

dschur

Jul 13, 2007
They are very secure. In fact you have to tug on them to get them out!

Brad
Using the triple flanges almost too secure - you might get a little extra "gift" if your ears aren't clean when you pull them out ;-)

The included foam tips are very good also, a little more comfortable for those getting started. I also orded a set of the Shure soft flex sleeves to try those.

I have to admit when I first tried the ety's I thought they were "tinney" due to reduced bass. When I switched back to the V-Moda's they then sounded like a muddy AM radio in comparison. The Ety's are very crisp and clean - the clarity is amazing and once I've used them for a few days it's a much better bass and I enjoy it quite a bit more.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Are you able to find an EQ setting among the many that Apple thoughtfully provided (and imaginatively named...) that balances the bass with the treble successfuly?

As an aside, am i the only one who wishes they had just given us an 10 band equalizer instead of all those silly preset options?

dschur

Jul 13, 2007
I've been trying a few of the EQs. Bass Booster added distortion on some tracks. Loudness was OK, but I think I'm settling into Treble Reducer in thw end. I also turned of sound check and I think that improved the sound as well.

dschur

Jul 13, 2007
I replaced the triple flanges with a set of Shure small Gray Soft Flex Sleeves. These are very comfortable for me (at the cost of a little isolation which I am OK with). I trimmed the stem about 2MM and with the drivers a little closer I think I am getting more bass and effect than with the triple flanges (and still that wondeful clarity - hearing things I never noticed before).

With the Shure sleeves, these things are super tiny and disappear in your ear. I love them, and the phone functionality and media control can't be beat.

I think I'm switching back to Loudness EQ - Treble reducer sounded flat and I lost that clarity. DOes anyone know if there are EQ curves somewhere for the Apple stock EQs so I can know what they are doing?

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
As a music producer, I find that the "Rock" EQ setting has the V-shaped EQ that makes most music sound "Lively, and Poppy."

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
where are the Shure sleeves available from? I am reconsidering my plan to wait for the next v moda model release...

garp

Jul 9, 2007
I sent my Apple cord and Er6i's in late last week and got them back yesterday. Very quick turn around and the quality is excellent, if you didn't know they had been modified you couldn't tell.

Sound from the ER6i is excellent and you get the functionality of the Apple cord, so for me this is the perfect solution. Much better than the V-Moda's that I bought.

Count me as a very happy customer :)

Jul 23, 2007
Got My Ultimate Buds Yesterday!

Initial Review: when they arrived I plugged them into my iPhone and let them run overnight (about 12 hours with random music) to facilitate the burn-in process. I’m trying them today and I'm very pleased with the quality of sound. It is important to push them deep into the ear canal as if you're putting in swimming earplugs. If you don't feel as though your ears are totally sealed you will not enjoy the bass that the earphones provide. When I compare them to the stock earphone there is a HUGE difference. I used my iPod with after market earphones to play meditation CDs that require the cancellation of ambient noise. When I got the iPhone the CDs would not work for me anymore, I could not make the mental connection that I experienced before. Thanks to the Ultimate Bud my meditation CDs now work and the earphones have the same functionality as the stock earphones (fast-forward, receive calls, etc).

Thanks Ultimate Buds!:)