Ultimate Buds Portable Power Station

climr

Jul 31, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we have the new Portable Power Stations in stock ready for immediate shipping!

These things are really cool, especially if you find yourself away from power for a long time or just want to watch a few movies on a plane without draining your battery. Video playback is increased from 7 hours to 18 hours!

I think you'll be surprised how well made these things are for $30 bucks. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Brad
Ultimate Buds

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I put a request in to test out product for review should get a email regarding testing out product from iPhoneworld.ca

climr

Jul 31, 2007
The ebay sellers are all in Hong Kong or China. If you are in the UK and willing to wait for shipping from HK/China, you might be better off buying from them. Of course we offer a 1 year warranty and real customer service too!

And BTW, $25 is actual shipping cost for EMS express. We had too many lost packages using cheaper alternatives. It's an inconvenience for us and our customers when packages are lost, so we dropped the cheaper methods.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
2 questions:

What battery chemistry (Li-ion, NiMH, etc)?

What chargers are included?

I like the form factor.

It'd be even better with a solar panel on the back.

climr

Jul 31, 2007
The battery is Li-ion, 2200mAh. The table below shows the total battery life with the power station attached:

Internet Usage 15.4 hours
Video Playback 18 hours
Audio Playback 62 hours!

You use the same charger you already have for your iPhone! There is a standard ipod/iPhone receptacle on the side near the on/off switch.

It also comes with a protective silicone sleeve that is large enough to cover the iPhone with the power station attached.

Great idea for the solar panel!

Brad
Ultimate Buds

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
OK.. That begs the question: If I have the iPhone in the Power Station, can I charge both simultaneously?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
The ebay sellers are all in Hong Kong or China. If you are in the UK and willing to wait for shipping from HK/China, you might be better off buying from them. Of course we offer a 1 year warranty and real customer service too!

And BTW, $25 is actual shipping cost for EMS express. We had too many lost packages using cheaper alternatives. It's an inconvenience for us and our customers when packages are lost, so we dropped the cheaper methods.
What's your website?

climr

Jul 31, 2007
OK.. That begs the question: If I have the iPhone in the Power Station, can I charge both simultaneously?
Yes. Snap the phone in first, then plug in the power station and both the power station and phone charge.

Website is www.ultimatebuds.com

Brad
Ultimate buds

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Great product but $25 to ship to the UK is a bit steep!

EDIT: Found it here on EBay for £12.90 ($26) inc delivery.
This arrived yesterday - just 5 days from China.

The design is good and it's straightforward to use - despite the Anglo/Chinese manual!

There's no 'pass through' for accessories so using my iCombi at the same time is a no-go, which is disappointing as that's how I listen to audio.

Once turned on, the iPhone battery indicator changes to charging and when off it returns to the battery indicator, as you'd expect.

I've yet to find out if there is a low battery warning. The manual mentions a Red LED, though I've only seen green so far.

I paid $25 inc. shipping so if I get just an extra 2 hours of use to cover my longest train journey it'll be money well spent. Anything more, for me, will be a bonus.

I'll post battery life times when I have them.

When in the 'open' position it makes a neat desk stand!

climr

Jul 31, 2007
Gee buddy.. Thanks for trying to talk everyone into buying from someone else ;) Its frustrating that these Chinese sellers are selling so low it's impossible for us to match their prices and still feed our kids. Actually we'd be losing quite a bit if we sold at that price!

Brad
Ultimate Buds

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
That was not my intnetion. I'm merely reporting what I find. As per my initial post, it was only the high shipping that made me search elsewhere.

For US customers I guess buying from you would be the wise option. This side of the pond, shipping is often a factor.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I had cause to use this 'in anger' today.

I fell asleep last night whilst streaming music via Orb. When I awoke my iPhone was completely dead with a totally flat battery.

I pulled my Portable Power Station from the drawer (where it had been for a month since I last charged it) and plugged in my iPhone.

90 minutes later the phone was 95% charged!

Very pleased, and I would recommend both the device and the EBay seller I got it from.

Sadly, it won't fit my new 3G iPhone, only the old Edge one.

Hope this helps someone out.

LarryInAz

May 9, 2007
Brad,
How soon do you anticipate having the 3G flavor available of the UB Power Station?

xhj2007

Jul 26, 2008
I purchased one battery pack from imaxpower.com called Ty460 the battery life is pretty decent. The only thing can be improved is that it comes with a USB cable. Given its performance fo 3G, I think i can accept it. Capacity is 4600mAh and video play time is long for 3G iPhone. This guy also included a video clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Perhaps UB isn't doing the power station for the 3G. They are usually really quick to reply on inquiries of their products.