Ultimate Buds UB5 Sore Disappointment

*grumble*
I got my UB5's in today and was expecting great sound from as much as everyone talked them up.
I put them in and they are comfortable and constructed well, but they have no bass compared to the stock G3 headphones.
They have little base and sound tinny.
The troubleshooting says "...depend(s) on a tight seal being formed between your eardrum and the outside world in order to produce the proper amount of bass..."
I tried the different earpieces but to no avail. I do not have retarded ear canals either.
I wanted so much to like these because they're more comfortable and look better, but I'm not sure I can live with all the treble, which sounds great by the way.:(
I have to have some bass in my music, otherwise it sounds like A.M. Radio.

Is it possible I got a foul pair?
Do they sound better after break in?
It says to give them a few days before making a decision, but At this point, I'm 90% positive I'll be returning them.

Any suggestions please?:mad:

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
I bought them and felt the same way. It is unfortunate, because they seem to be a good company with good customer service.
I sold mine on eGay.

I have the stock Apple wires with some skull candy buds modeed on them. I'm very happy with sound quality.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
*grumble*
I got my UB5's in today and was expecting great sound from as much as everyone talked them up.
I put them in and they are comfortable and constructed well, but they have no bass compared to the stock G3 headphones.
They have little base and sound tinny.
The troubleshooting says "...depend(s) on a tight seal being formed between your eardrum and the outside world in order to produce the proper amount of bass..."
I tried the different earpieces but to no avail. I do not have retarded ear canals either.
I wanted so much to like these because they're more comfortable and look better, but I'm not sure I can live with all the treble, which sounds great by the way.:(
I have to have some bass in my music, otherwise it sounds like A.M. Radio.

Is it possible I got a foul pair?
Do they sound better after break in?
It says to give them a few days before making a decision, but At this point, I'm 90% positive I'll be returning them.

Any suggestions please?:mad:
Have you tried the equalizer in the iPhone/ipod? There's a bass-booster there. Also, people have said to put a few hours on your earbuds before they sound they way they should.

Have you tried the equalizer in the iPhone/ipod? There's a bass-booster there. Also, people have said to put a few hours on your earbuds before they sound they way they should.
Yeah, I tried the EQ, but I hear minimal difference.
I think I'm going to try them for a few days. I May have had them pushed in too deep. I pulled them out a bit so that the mushroom earpiece seals around the outer ear canal, and it sounded better. Not great bass, (still not as good as stock) but better than it was earlier.
We'll see...

Also, Soilsample, How much did they sell for on eBay? And, I can't believe someone bought someone else's waxy earbuds...:eek:

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
Ha,
I don't remember how much they sold for. I know that I got most of my money back.

I had only worn them for about 10 mins. I also had new mushrooms for them.
I tried them nd was unhappy with the sound out of the box. So I hooked them to my computer and let them burn in for about 10 hours. Then I tried them again..... still sucked.

There's no way that you should settle for ANY earbud that sounds WORSE than the stockers.
Apple's stock earbuds are garbage! My $12 skull candy ink'd buds sound 10X better than the stockers (and they don't hurt my ears).

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Mine seem to have more than enough bass, usually use the "rock" setting in the EQ. The bass is one of the aspects I thought they covered very well with these headphones.

dbarron

Jan 30, 2008
I was actually happy with the fact that the bass was very crisp and clear, rather than heavy and booming. Everyone has different needs...

I think perhaps it takes time to get used to them. I had to figure out a way to position them in my ear just right so that it makes a seal around the canal. I can't jam them all the way in, I have to kind of tug on them and make the mushroom seal.
I kind of like them now, they sound ok...My left ear fits better than my right ear. I have a hard time making the right one seal, and it also gets irritated/bruised feeling in my right canal after wearing them for more than an hour.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I think perhaps it takes time to get used to them. I had to figure out a way to position them in my ear just right so that it makes a seal around the canal. I can't jam them all the way in, I have to kind of tug on them and make the mushroom seal.
I kind of like them now, they sound ok...My left ear fits better than my right ear. I have a hard time making the right one seal, and it also gets irritated/bruised feeling in my right canal after wearing them for more than an hour.
Try some different rubber flanges. The ones that came with them seemed too thin to me. I use some off another set I had, way more comfortable.