ultimate buds vs. Vibe duo w/ clicker ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Im having the hardest time deciding which ones to get. Please give me your experiences so I can stop banging my head over this one.

Thanks
Get both. Whichever one sounds best to YOU is what matters. Sound quality differs by person. Return the ones you're not happy with. return the other.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I often wonder how much money we all pay factored into the price for people who whimsically return items they are only interested in sampling to see if they they like it, or not. Personally, I detest the practice. If you bought it, you own it.

No doubt that this practice contributes to certain problematic return policies when the merchandiser has to take the hit of return people buyers. I was in the customer service line at Walmart a few years back. It was a Sunday. The people in front of me had a variety of fishing tackle and gear they were returning that they had bought a few days prior, because they wanted to "try" fishing. No intent to keep the gear unless they took a liking to the sport.

Before you think that I am being cold or heartless, I have to admit the woman I dearly love, my wife, is one of those people who buys items with the notion that if she changes here mind later, she'll simply return it. I think the customer service counter at Kohl's has her on a first name basis.

kwan

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I disagree with your opinion on returning items. It isn't exactly convenient to return purchased items. However if you feel the need to return an item, and it falls under the guidelines of a company's return policy, that is the consumer's right. Its just a part of doing businesss, IMO.

By the way, get an ultimate buds. Much better mic quality (OEM) vs the vibe.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Kwan,

Did I mention rights? I never said it was not within a person's rights to take full advantage of any policies that permit returns sans a justifiable reason. I simply find it detestable that people exercise their right to ignore all semblance of decent behavior by not researching before they buy.

There are a number of cases on this very site that I am considering. I would not even think to order them all, use them, and return the ones I didn't like. That's why people come here, to the forums. To find information, to do research, BEFORE they buy. Hey, if it's defective, or doesn't fit an application that it says it is designed to do, then by all means, return it.

But, jeez, take a little effort. Sloppiness of purchasing decisions by the leisurely purchaser costs us all in the end. It's called personal responsibility.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i just got the vibe duo's with the clicker and i like them so far, though they aren't burned in yet. i have never tried the ultimate ears, but i do have a pair of etymotic er-6i's - these were my primary headphones with my video ipod. in comparison to the etymotic's, the vibe duo's aren't as crisp/clear, but they have way more bass. almost too much bass, as a matter of fact. the clicker works as it should, and i like that the microphone is closer to my mouth than the one on the oem headphones that came with the iPhone. i also like the fit of the v-moda's over the oem headphones, and there's more sound isolation than i expected, though not as much as with my etymotics.

i wanted a better pair of headphones with a clicker & microphone in a color other than white (so as not to be a dead-giveaway that i have an iPhone as i wear them in the city) that weren't too expensive, and the v-moda's are perfect.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I have the V-Moda Vibe Duos, and am very happy with them. Sound good, fit well, and are pretty ergonomic. If I have one nitpick, it's the clicker button being small and not as easy to use as the OEM. You often have to roll the mic case between your fingertips until positioned just right to manipulate the button, especially for double-click.

Interestingly, I find the bass about right, maybe on the light side. I have to use the EQ to boost it a little over flat. I would imagine the Etymotics would disappoint me.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I simply find it detestable that people exercise their right to ignore all semblance of decent behavior by not researching before they buy.

There are a number of cases on this very site that I am considering. I would not even think to order them all, use them, and return the ones I didn't like. That's why people come here, to the forums. To find information, to do research, BEFORE they buy. Hey, if it's defective, or doesn't fit an application that it says it is designed to do, then by all means, return it.

But, jeez, take a little effort. Sloppiness of purchasing decisions by the lazy costs us all in the end. It's called personal responsibility.
You can research headphones (for example) online all you want......but you'll never be able to judge the actual sound quality until you buy them and compare them. I'm not saying it's ok to buy all of the ones you're comparing, or even multiple sets at once. Research, buy, and if you aren't happy with that set, start the process over again.

Are you going to keep headphones that you purchased because of all the raving reviews, only to find out you don't like the sound quality at all? If yes, that's your prerogative.....however if I buy something and I'm not completely happy with it, I'm certainly not going to keep it.

Having said that however, I'm also not going to buy something just to try it out and see if I like it. If I buy something after researching it, and it fails to live up to my expectations, I will return it and I won't feel bad about it.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Interestingly, I find the bass about right, maybe on the light side. I have to use the EQ to boost it a little over flat. I would imagine the Etymotics would disappoint me.
i think that's a clear sign i'm getting old! :p

but maybe i'm not describing what i think of the bass very well - it's strong, but "boomy". in other words, the base sounds a little hollow (it lacks depth).

the v-moda's emphasize bass, but the etymotic's don't. so the etymotics give very clear and even sound across the entire range - you'll hear the bass and it's not hollow like the v-moda's. but the etymotics aren't entirely satisfying with some of my music - "midnight" by a tribe called quest is a good example where i find this...

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
OK, So I placed an order for Ultimate Buds and I will give a review once I receive them. I will be able to compare the Bose TriPort IE (Had and Sold), the Apple supplied headphones, the Rivet's (Currently have) and the Ultimate Buds (Shipping). I just love the Apple Supplied Clicker/Mic combo compared to the Rivet's combo. The Bose just never gave me a good seel in the ear and no clocker/mic just killed me.

I guess I already knew what I wanted, but couldn't pull the trigger. Don't tell the wife :sick:

Thanks Everyone for your comments.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
OK, So I placed an order for Ultimate Buds and I will give a review once I receive them. I will be able to compare the Bose TriPort IE (Had and Sold), the Apple supplied headphones, the Rivet's (Currently have) and the Ultimate Buds (Shipping). I just love the Apple Supplied Clicker/Mic combo compared to the Rivet's combo. The Bose just never gave me a good seel in the ear and no clocker/mic just killed me.

I guess I already knew what I wanted, but couldn't pull the trigger. Don't tell the wife :sick:

i misread your first post - i thought you were talking about another headphone brand (ultimate ears) entirely. i see now that the ultimate buds is a custom combination of the etymotic er-6i's and the oem headphone's mic and control button. the er-6i's are great - you'll enjoy them!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I often wonder how much money we all pay factored into the price for people who whimsically return items they are only interested in sampling to see if they they like it, or not. Personally, I detest the practice. If you bought it, you own it.

I better not ever catch you in line at Walmart returning something that just didn't work for you.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007

I will never understand why grown folks need other people to make a decision for them. You started this thread already knowing what you wanted. So based on what I've read, it really doesn't matter what opinions were thrown out there; you were going to get the ultimates anyway!

This feels like its been a waste of time.

If I see your wife, I'm going to ask her how you're liking your Ultimates.

jeffp

Jul 9, 2007
"I better not ever catch you in line at Walmart returning something that just didn't work for you."
You must spend a lot of time at Walmart. ;)

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I better not ever catch you in line at Walmart returning something that just didn't work for you.
LOL, you wont. :)

Heck, last week I broke the Case-mate executive slip case I was using for my iPhone. My wife said I should return it, and say it "must have been defective". I said, "heck no, I broke it, it was my fault". The next day my wife surpriises me, & hands me a new case, and says she returned the broken one to the AT&T store for which they replaced it no problem. I'm just that kind of guy.....and I usually have a lot of stuff when we have garage sales too, from things I bought that I only used for a short time, because I found something better.

I know what I said earlier in this thread may have sounded pompous, and I don't want it to seem that way. Call it a peculiarity, it's my pet peeve. :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
LOL, you wont. :)

Heck, last week I broke the Case-mate executive slip case I was using for my iPhone. My wife said I should return it, and say it "must have been defective". I said, "heck no, I broke it, it was my fault". The next day my wife surpriises me, & hands me a new case, and says she returned the broken one to the AT&T store for which they replaced it no problem. I'm just that kind of guy.....and I usually have a lot of stuff when we have garage sales too, from things I bought that I only used for a short time, because I found something better.

I know what I said earlier in this thread may have sounded pompous, and I don't want it to seem that way. Call it a peculiarity, it's my pet peeve. :)
i'm on board with ya man. I'll sooner sell something on ebay than try to return it to the original store.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
"I better not ever catch you in line at Walmart returning something that just didn't work for you."
You must spend a lot of time at Walmart. ;)
yes, I do. :cool:

The interesting thing about returns is that you can simply say you don't want it. As long as said store has a return policy, thats all that matters... and Walmart's is 90 days. :laugh2:

Well, I'm glad you thought so too! ;)

kwan

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I personally don't return things. I'm too lazy to do it, unless its a very expensive item that was faulty.
However, I could care less if someone returns something if for whatever reason they're not 100% satisfied.

Anyway, I have the Ultimate Buds with the F1's. They provide very high bass. I actually set my equalizer to electronic or high treble now. The OEM mic also sounds much better than the Vibes.