Ultimate Buds

Aug 25, 2007
Not too impressed with the sound quality produced by the factory buds. Looking for an upgrade and came across www.ultimatebuds.com Anyone own a set of these? I have read a lot of good reviews but I would love to get some more feedback before dropping the cash to get a set.

Aug 26, 2007
i saw these on engadget and they look great. not sure about the price though. and i actually found an auction on ebay where someone is selling a modded iPhone headset with jvc marshmallows. i've heard the jvc's are pretty good and saw the video too but wouldn't want to do it myself (not too tech saavy). not a bad deal for $99 tho. don't have the auction number but i found them by searching "iPhone jvc" or "iPhone mod".

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The Etys that mod is based on are pretty a pretty good sound for the money option. I personally hated the Shure EC2 (muddy bass and rolled off high end) for about the same price.
Another option that will be available soon is an iPhone specific canal phone (like the Etymotic and Shure) from Ultimate Ears. I got a set for beta testing today, and they sound REALLY good out of the box. Based on the state of manufacture my prototypes are, they have to be pretty close to production. They're based on the UE Metro.fi, which are their lower end models (they make serious audiophile custom monitors, too for mucho dinero). You can get Metros at Amazon for about $50, so I imagine the iPhone model won't be terribly expensive...

Aug 25, 2007
After talking to Brad, the guy that runs Ultimate Buds and receiving feedback from several forums I think these are a great option. They seem to be the best sound available for the money. I will let you know what kind of quality the product is.

sele

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I too have been looking at these, going there everyday and just haven't pulled the trigger yet. So please let us know how they are.

Sele

Aug 25, 2007
Listened to a set yesterday. The sound quality was really good especially in the mids. The buds seem to be very well constructed, definitely not a hack splice job or anything like that. I think they are well worth the price.